Sign in with
Your question

Not enough 6 pin connectors on PSU

Last response: in Components
November 10, 2010 9:19:39 PM

Okay, my PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) arrived today and while I was looking at it I noticed that it only has two 6 pin PCI connector slots. I was planning on having 2 6870s in crossfire but they require two 6 pin PCI connectors each. So I'm wondering if there is any way for me to still have 2 6870s in crossfire other than buying a new PSU. I'm just fine with having just one 6870 but would like to have the option to have 2 in crossfire. Thank you for your time. :) 

More about : pin connectors psu

a b ) Power supply
November 10, 2010 10:06:05 PM

First, it's something you should checked before you bought the PSU...

second, many cards come with an adapter in case the PSU does not have enough 6-pin connections. MSI's HD 6870 comes with two such adapters. click the link below and select the right most tiny preview picture which show all included accessories.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 10, 2010 10:32:40 PM

You can do two things here:
1. You can return the PSU to newegg and buy one that has all of the necessary 6-pin connectors.
or
2. Do as jaguar said and use the Molex to 6-pin PCI-E adapters.
Related resources
November 10, 2010 10:44:12 PM

Would I be able to buy those connectors separately as well?
a b ) Power supply
November 10, 2010 11:06:10 PM

Yes, you can. Bestbuy will probably have them, but it may be cheaper to buy on line. I say "may" 'cause the shipping charge might be outrageous. I recall seeing a SATA cable being sold somewhere for $3, but the standard shipping charge was $7.

You can also check Radio Shack if there's one near you.
November 10, 2010 11:13:34 PM

Also, my psu has four molex 4 pin slots. Would it matter if I used them all to power a gpu? Would I need them for other things?
November 11, 2010 1:12:30 AM

Jyle said:
Also, my psu has four molex 4 pin slots. Would it matter if I used them all to power a gpu? Would I need them for other things?

Molex is typically only used for older floppy and CD-ROM drives, so no it probably won't matter.

Jaguar: Shipping usually is pretty ridiculous for small items like that. I needed to buy a couple molex adapters last year. Online the prices were around 4 bucks and then tack on at least that much for shipping. It was easier to just go to Best Buy and get them for the 6 or 7 bucks that they want for them. Radioshack might work too.
!