Question about blueray and my video card

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I have a film that is 37gigabytes. It was ripped from a friends blueray disc.

To me the film doesn't warrant the 37gigabyte disc space. Am I getting the exact same blue ray quality from this rip as my friend when he puts his disc into his blueray player? I'm just curious because the film itself isn't very special in terms of quality.

I have a GTX260 btw if that matters.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

The movie in question is enemy at the gates. It is in a .m2ts format and is 37gigs. Not exactly sure how long it is because VLC player doesn't show the length of the movie.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Okay I did a side by side comparison of the same movie using VLC player and PowerDVD player.

The movie looks a bit darker when using the PowerDVD player.

Does this mean the PowerDVD player is playing it as a Blueray file and the VLC isn't? It's the same file I used for both.

The file is surely a direct rip, it isn't compressed. That is why it is so large. When you play it back it should be the exact same quality as the disc it came from.
The difference in how it looks between players is just because they are different software with different default settings. I'm sure on both you can adjust the image brightness/contrast/ect. to your liking.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I'll go out on a limb here.
Disk Sizes:
DVD single sided 4.2Gb
DVD dS 8.4Gb
BluRay 37Gb ?

Blu Ray disk hold more data for higher quality video ( more info sent to screen)
I'll venture to guess that if you want to see the quality you need to rip a BluRay disk and put into a player.
Just an opinion here since I don't have a BluRay recorder.