• New Build
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2010 2:27:55 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: undecided

BUDGET RANGE: $1000-$2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming(As title says primarily World of Warcraft)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, but not picky

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No real prefrence

OVERCLOCKING: Possibly. I have selected the particular MOBO because of its overclocking features.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I plan on starting out with one card and then deciding from there.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Here is a list of components I have come up with so far. However, nothing is set in stone yet. https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

GPU:

SAPPHIRE TOXIC 100282TXSR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. Really would appreciate input on a better graphics card price vs performance wise.

NIC:

Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter
I was thinking of getting an Intel NIC because I remember reading somewhere someone said It was good in crowded places in WoW.

SSD:

OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) or
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
I may just stick with a 500GB samsung spinpoint or try to salvage an old 600GB hd of mine. Reason I wanted an SSD was because It would improve loading times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-M-3-ejxPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dt-y27eYk&feature=rela...

PSU:

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power. I really don't honestly know a whole lot bout PSU's but ever since I've used a Corsair in my previous build I've fell in love with the brand. Willing to use a cheaper alternative however.

CASE:

Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm. I plan on getting the combo deal with this and a dvd burner.

MOBO:

MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard. Main thing that sold me on this MOBO is the reviews but I don't know. I'm still new to building computers so still learning a lot. Main reason I'm thinking of getting this board Is because I read an article of its overclocking capabilities in Maximum PC. I'm also thinking about it because of it's crossfire capabilities. Does x8 vs x16 really make a diffrence?

I may decide to be cheap and go with a ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard but I can't decide.

CPU:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX. A couple months back I made a post with a previous build idea to go with a i7-930 and decided to not go with it because It cost more and was going to be soon replaced.

RAM:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH. I honestly don't know much about ram when It comes to gaming so would appreciate advice on it as well. I plan on using Windows 7, so would 6 GB make a big difference over 4 GB?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as I said I'm still new to building computers.

More about : wow overkill build

August 24, 2010 2:56:57 AM

That all looks pretty good. My old AMD 3000+, GeForce 5400FX, and 1gb of RAM rig played WoW in windowed mode with iTunes and MSN open just fine, so that rig will punish it.

I wouldn't bother with the NIC. Unless you've got an absolutely horrible NIC (which that motherboard doesn't), you won't see any gain in performance outside of the LAN.
m
l
August 24, 2010 3:20:57 AM

The 5850 is a great card, though i'm sure someone will recommend you look into the GTX 460 (which is also a great card, it's just that I own a 5850)

You should be fine with 4GB of ram. I put the same ram in my computer (but 1333 instead of 1600) and it's awesome. Great ram kit.

I also have a 955BE and it's a great processor for gaming because of its clock speed.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 25, 2010 2:25:07 AM

Alright, so I just learned you can play WoW in 3D :pt1cable:  , naturally since my build is going to revolve around that game I want it lol. Only catch is I think it can only be utilized by the GTX 460 unless I'm mistaken. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So can anyone suggest a good mobo alternative with SLI?
m
l