IBM ThinkPad 600E boot from USB ??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 10, 2004 4:14:20 PM

hello eweryone

my question is like in subject:
is there soem possibility to boot IBM ThinPad 600Efrom external device
connected throug USB (cd or hdd) ??

thx for help
marcind
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 10, 2004 4:23:39 PM

i've found samething like this:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=psg1M...
but will it work on ThinkPAd600 ??

thx
marcind

U¿ytkownik "marcind" <marcind10@wp.pl> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> hello eweryone
>
> my question is like in subject:
> is there soem possibility to boot IBM ThinPad 600Efrom external device
> connected throug USB (cd or hdd) ??
>
> thx for help
> marcind

December 10, 2004 6:01:21 PM

I do not think that will work with your system. Whatever you do DO NOT
attempt to apply a BIOS update from a different system to yours.

These are the links that relate to your product:
http://www-132.ibm.com/search/600.html

You should specify whether you are just trying to boot the system to a
prompt -- and that is all, or if you want to boot to an operating system
located on the portable device. If the former, you can do it with a bootable
CD ROM. If the latter, you will need a portable hard drive and, AFIK you
might only be able to do it with some flavor of linux (I could be wrong on
that one).

Good luck

"marcind" <marcind10@wp.pl> wrote in message
> i've found samething like this:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=psg1M...
> but will it work on ThinkPAd600 ??
>
> thx
> marcind
>

> U¿ytkownik "marcind" <marcind10@wp.pl> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> > hello eweryone
> >
> > my question is like in subject:
> > is there soem possibility to boot IBM ThinPad 600Efrom external device
> > connected throug USB (cd or hdd) ??
> >
> > thx for help
> > marcind

October 19, 2010 3:46:22 AM

It's possible if you use PLoP: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

This program allows you to load your USB Drivers, and then choose USB as a boot device, even when your BIOS cannot. It's relatively easy to install.
!