Extremely Weird USB Problem

Blehstor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hello everyone. Until a few days ago, my USB WiFi adapter worked perfectly on my motherboard's USB port (Asus M4a88TD-m/USB3) but lately it was working strangely and some days it wouldnt even work at all. I decided to format and start a new fresh Windows 7 Ultimate installation. The problem remains, when I plug the adapter to the Motherboard USB ports it works badly, detects the network but won't connect to it, and sometimes it won't even detect it.

BUT when i plug it to the front USB port (from a fan control bay) it works flawlessly. Problem is, my case has a 'door' and I can't shut it cause the adapter is in the way, which is annoying as hell.

I don't think the motherboard is the problem, cause I have a Razer Deathadder, a Logitech G110, an external WD 1TB drive and an Apple Dock connected to the Mobo's USB ports and they all work fine.

I would have no problem in buying a new WiFi adapter, but I don't want to waste money if the Motherboard results to be the real problem..

This is strange as hell... Does anyone know what it could be?

BTW: the adapter is a Realtek RTL8187B

Thank you.

Solution
Just 'thinking' out loud - this might have something to do with 'line of sight' to your router and interference. In the rear of the case you have a lot of electromagnetic radiation from both wires, PSU, and a like.

It might be worth the effort to turn the rearend of your case a 180 degrees to see if that helps. The next step is to get a male-female USB cable so you can position the USB Wi-Fi.
Just 'thinking' out loud - this might have something to do with 'line of sight' to your router and interference. In the rear of the case you have a lot of electromagnetic radiation from both wires, PSU, and a like.

It might be worth the effort to turn the rearend of your case a 180 degrees to see if that helps. The next step is to get a male-female USB cable so you can position the USB Wi-Fi.

Solution

Blehstor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

That might be a possibility, but i doubt it. Why would I have a radiation problem all of the sudden? It always worked perfectly.. and I didn't move or change anything in my house or my PC that could be causing interference.

Also, it DOES detect the network and says it has Excellent signal. But it just won't connect to it. Plus, the adapter works all buggy and strange when connected back there. I guess I could buy a cable and try what you said..

Blehstor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
You were right. Apparently there is a bad contact or interference back there. I bought the cable you said and it works. If I buy a different, better USB WiFi adapter, will the problem continue? What about a PCI Wifi adapter? Thanks.

Guess are guesses...been there and there are too many variables.

Yep, another one of my...'thinking' out loud - have you looked at the Powerline -> http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=294&name=Powerline-Networking&Order=REVIEWS
Video review -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sue1Zvmh8JA

In my old house I used Wi-Fi Ethernet Adapters and yeah buddy it was a inconsistent PITA, the new house has all CAT-6 :) but I oopsy and missed a spot. I had some choices and since it was for a Media PC I opted for the fastest but cheapest {SOLID} solution and went with a Powerline setup and I'm a happy camper! I have is the 200 MB/s {same as the video link} but the newer ones are 2.5X faster ;)

Blehstor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I'm using the cable and everything works fine. Thanks for all the advice