Christmas Upgrades (Help Requested)

Sykes77

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hey Everyone,

First off thanks for looking at the thread and double thanks if you offer some advice.

TL: DR: Look at the specs tell me what you would do with ~400$ come Christmas

Okay, So I'm siting here and I come up with the thought that Christmas is coming up and I didn't know what I wanted to get myself. Right now my current computer spec is:

CPU: I5-750 @ 3.6
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Ram: 2X2 Corsair 1600 9-9-9-24
SSD: Intel 80g SSD
HDD: 500g Samsung Spinpoint f3
Video Card: XFX Radeon 5870
Power: 650W Corsair
Monitor Asus 24' Widescreen & 19' non-widescreen
Keyboard: Razer Locosa
Case: Lian-la k-52 Dragon

Approx budget is 300-400$

I really want to know if this was your rig what would you do with it. All opinions are welcome. And to preempt the "forget the computer and get a stripper" I am married :p

My Thoughts: I think adding a 27' Monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091 would rock and then use both HDMI outputs on my 5870.

Thank you again.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I honestly see no reason to upgrade the hardware at this point in time. A system like that is far more capable than most people would give it credit. Buying yourself a nice monitor would be pretty cool :)

Sykes77

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Well thank you very much, This forum helped me build this computer 4-5 months ago. I am really enjoying this build. But I am not the most tech minded person and I know a lot of people love to help on this forum and I love hearing opinions. Is that the monitor that you would go with?

I would also have to agree with Pyroflea

Maybe a nice set of speekers ?

Sykes77

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
For Speakers/Headset I use "Creative Sound Blaster Arena Surround USB Gaming Headset"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158084.

Wife would probably not appreciate a bumping sound system haha. Do a fair bit of gaming and some decently common tv show streaming and am located in the living room where we have our TV.

Also have a pretty crappy pair of speakers that almost never get used for reasons listed above but can be used if friends come over and need to hear something.

P.S. Not a big music fan.

4 to 8GB RAM? No yet necessary if you use your pc only for games and daily usage.
Monitor upgrade would be nice.
A NAS at home is also nice.
A nice speaker set or head phone is also nice.
If you don't have a webcam, well...having one is also nice.

Basically, I would spend money for something else like :
A HD capable photo/video camera.
A new smart phone
A tablet PC
A gaming console
A home theater
etc.
Things you probably don't have yet.