Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Upgrade Help

Last response: in CPUs
November 11, 2010 2:10:09 AM

I have an old Computer Running XP Home with a Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz CPU and I am upgrading to a 3.2Ghz CPU Do I have to re-install my OS.
Any information would be great.

Chris..

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 81 à CPUs
November 11, 2010 2:50:33 AM

No.. OS re-install is not required if you are just changing the processor or any other component except the motherboard (there are exceptions here also)..
m
l

Best solution

a c 87 à CPUs
November 11, 2010 3:03:50 AM

If changing from a single core (non HT) P4 to a dual core/HT P4 you will need to change the CPU driver. This can be done with an OS install, or by updating the driver in the device manager. If you don't do this you will still have a single core/non HT CPU.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2010 3:09:37 AM

You don't have to , but you may want to anyway. A fresh install every now and again should get rid of any unwanted applications, clean the garbage out of the registry, and you'll be installing latest drivers for everything.
m
l
November 11, 2010 5:27:00 AM

Emperus said:
No.. OS re-install is not required if you are just changing the processor or any other component except the motherboard (there are exceptions here also)..

Thanks Emperus,

Back in the old days I would just re-install the OS for CPU upgrades but I thought since its only 800Mhz more and not a Duel core I had to ask.

Thanks again
Chris..
m
l
November 11, 2010 5:29:09 AM

4745454b said:
If changing from a single core (non HT) P4 to a dual core/HT P4 you will need to change the CPU driver. This can be done with an OS install, or by updating the driver in the device manager. If you don't do this you will still have a single core/non HT CPU.

Thanks 4745454b for your fast response. Chris..
m
l
November 11, 2010 5:36:37 AM

etk said:
You don't have to , but you may want to anyway. A fresh install every now and again should get rid of any unwanted applications, clean the garbage out of the registry, and you'll be installing latest drivers for everything.

Thanks etk,

Im an old school tech about 20 years ago I started learning about computers and sometimes you forget things and need help. This forum is great I have been looking for a hardware forum for sometime and now I found one.

Thanks again.

Chris..
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
November 11, 2010 5:37:33 AM

No problem, but the 3.2GHz P4 is a Hyper Threaded CPU, so its treated as a dual core. Assuming your 2.4 is not a HT CPU, you need the driver change.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2010 3:50:30 PM

As everyone said, you need to update the CPU driver since the OS will see two virtual cores.
m
l
November 17, 2010 11:41:41 PM

Best answer selected by cschweizer.
m
l
!