Broken Motherboard?

robano

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hello my computer shut down and my power led started to blink for a while before i pressed the power switch on the PSU behind the computer and tried starting it up, this didnt work, nothing happened it didnt give and light on the power led on the front side on my computer but the fans started for like 0.5 sec, the computer didnt give off any "beeps". I know its not the CPU, and i tried the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=youtube_gdata and the psu worked so i guess its not the psu, and it cant be the harddrive or video card or the computer would have started, it could be the memory i guess but the computer doesnt give any beeps so i dont know, ive checked all components physically and nothing looks broken or burnt.

Please help.

CPU = AMD Phenom2 X4 955 3,2GHz Black Edition
PSU = Fractal Design Integra 400W
GPU = Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB
MB = MSI 870A-G54 AM3

It's the power supply. Never heard of your brand; 400w is marginal for your rig. I recommend a 650w or higher in one of these brands: antec, seasonic, corsair, or enermax. Most of their models are reliable.

robano

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Well ive been able to use the PSU for half a year without any problems and i asked ppl and they said it was enought to run a single gtx 460 with no problem, would like some real help instead of telling me my motherboard and psu are budget brands, doesnt really help since they actually have worked just fine.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
10 to 1, one of two things happened:

1. PSU died/partially died (happens with ElCheapo PSU's, could have a damaged 12v rail)
2. You experienced a surge, and fried your Vid card (could have been prevented).

Try the video card in another system. Try "breadboarding" your system. Take everything out of the case, and connect power to one part at a time, till you find what failed. I still HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a good PSU ASAP to prevent this from happening again.

*EDIT* Nvidia recommends a MINIMUM 450W power supply, so whomever told you it was safe to power your rig with a no-name 400W PSU is on something.

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 104 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 160 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 450 W
Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin & 6-pin

If you can find some reliable test results for your fractel design 400w, then I'll shut up. But I've had first hand experience with low end power supplies. One went up in smoke after only 4 days when overloaded (my fault for overclocking). Msi makes some good models of motherboards, but I have had better luck with biostar or gigabyte lately.