Another funny Customer Service story

Last response: in Network Providers
April 12, 2005 5:31:43 AM

My wife is in mountains about 130 miles away in same state. She has signal. Phone is V551. Tries to call several numbers gets
message saying call can't be processed.

I called Cus Service. They said sometimes when a phone is in an area without Cingular coverage the customer has to take phone into a
Cingular store to have new SIM card info downloaded.

The lady said for example some states don't have Cingular coverage, so you would need to go to a Cingular store.

I said, if the state doesn't have Cingular coverage (are there any?) it would be pretty hard to find a Cingular store.

No she claimed, there are lots of states without Cingular coverage but with Cingular stores.

The sad part is that these CSR folks talk with such conviction that I'm sure they convince most callers.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:22:55 PM

> I called Cus Service. They said sometimes when a phone is in an area
without Cingular coverage the customer has to take phone into a
> Cingular store to have new SIM card info downloaded.

You can get roaming information updated over the air, but only if you
can get on the network to start with. So at least that part of the
story is mostly true.

> No she claimed, there are lots of states without Cingular coverage
but with Cingular stores.

That is curious ;-)

tg.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:45:04 AM

With the aquisition of ATT wireless there are now states that don't have
legacy cingular coverage but do have coverage with the old ATT towers and
there are now "Cingular" stores!
"tom glaab" <tomglaab@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I called Cus Service. They said sometimes when a phone is in an area
> without Cingular coverage the customer has to take phone into a
>> Cingular store to have new SIM card info downloaded.
>
> You can get roaming information updated over the air, but only if you
> can get on the network to start with. So at least that part of the
> story is mostly true.
>
>> No she claimed, there are lots of states without Cingular coverage
> but with Cingular stores.
>
> That is curious ;-)
>
> tg.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:43:39 PM

tom glaab wrote:

>>No she claimed, there are lots of states without Cingular coverage
>
> but with Cingular stores.
>
> That is curious ;-)

Curious, but true. The New York City market, for instance, never had
true native Cingular coverage. The coverage footprint offered there and
several other areas was provided through a network-sharing agreement
with T-Mobile. So you were really on T-MObile in many places where you
THOUGHT you had Cingular coverage.

Of course, a lot of this has changed with the acquisition fo AT&T.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.