Windows 7 / XP Dual-boot questions.

I have a few quick questions, and I figured you guys might be my saviors!

I currently have an old XP box with a Athlon x2 3800+ in it, and an old motherboard. I just got a new motherboard and a Phenom II X3 720, and I want to switch them out. At the same time, I want to install windows 7. CURRENTLY, my plan is to just clear off a hard drive, and install 7 on it while the old MB and processor are in, and THEN switch the hardware. I guess my noobish questions are:

Is that even possible? Will a clean install of 7 recognize the new processor and motherboard without issue?

If I install 7 on a different drive than my XP install, can I dual-boot with the new hardware, once they are installed? I plan on shifting away from XP finally, but it would be nice to be able to boot into it still if I forget something. Will the new hardware make this impossible?

What are the steps to dual-booting XP and 7 on different drives?

Thanks for any help!
2 answers Last reply
More about windows dual boot questions
  1. 1. If you replace your motherboard you have to load windows from scratch after or you will have LOADS of issues, drivers being a big one.
    2. You won't have any problems recognizing your new hardware, provided you put a clean operating system on after you install the hardware.
    3. You won't be able to dual boot your existing XP because it will need to be re-installed as well, for the same issues as in answer #1. But you can dual boot, just install XP first, when you install windows 7, it will configure the dual boot for you and give you a boot menu to choose your operating system to start when you power the computer on.
  2. Thank you, so much!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Motherboards Windows XP