Sign in with
Your question

Removing OS from HDD to SSD

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
November 27, 2012 3:34:41 PM

I am on the verge of purchasing parts to build my first computer, and had some questions about how to set up my storage devices, including moving data around and installing the new OS. I currently have 2 500gb WD caviar blue drives in my old computer, the primary drive has windows XP and data, and the secondary drive is barely being used, just to back up data here and there. I have three external drives: one 320gb, one 750gb, and a 1TB clickfree backup drive. In addition I have a USB 2.0 sata docking station, I believe it is made by Thermaltake. And lastly, I just bought an Intel 330 SSD, 240gb, on a cyber monday deal.

Here's what I am trying to figure out.....How to get just my data safely off of the primary drive so I can reformat both drives and Raid them? For my new setup, I would like to install the OS in a partition on the SSD, and then have the two 500gb drives for data storage.
I have some ideas how to do this, but I am an amateur when it comes to this stuff, and I would really like to hear some options from some real computer people.
Thanks.

More about : removing hdd ssd

a c 385 G Storage
November 27, 2012 3:58:16 PM

Forget about raid. Disconnect all drives except for the SSD. Install the OS onto the SSD. Turn the computer off and reattach all hard drives and boot into the bios in order to change the boot order of drives making the SSD first. Copy any data you need from your old OS drive unless you want it to remain there. You can safely delete the windows folder on the old OS drive. You will need to reinstall any programs onto the SSD.
November 27, 2012 5:26:22 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Forget about raid. Disconnect all drives except for the SSD. Install the OS onto the SSD. Turn the computer off and reattach all hard drives and boot into the bios in order to change the boot order of drives making the SSD first. Copy any data you need from your old OS drive unless you want it to remain there. You can safely delete the windows folder on the old OS drive. You will need to reinstall any programs onto the SSD.

Perfect. Far less complicated than I had thought. For some reason I didn't think deleting the OS was as simple as removing a folder.
Thanks
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 27, 2012 5:48:18 PM

You *may* have to take ownership of the folders/files on your old drives. Just an easy google search will help you if it's an issue.
a b G Storage
November 27, 2012 6:09:21 PM

Hawkeye22's instructions are the best way you do it. Some use a program like Norton Ghost to transfer over an O/S and programs. After you install the O/S and update it and install the drivers and update them. You can create a image back up of your SSD since you have so much storage you don't really need. Then if there is ever a problem you can fix by rolling back you can restore the image.
a c 385 G Storage
November 27, 2012 6:26:14 PM

littleleo said:
Hawkeye22's instructions are the best way you do it. Some use a program like Norton Ghost to transfer over an O/S and programs. After you install the O/S and update it and install the drivers and update them. You can create a image back up of your SSD since you have so much storage you don't really need. Then if there is ever a problem you can fix by rolling back you can restore the image.

Although cloning may work, it is not recommended to clone an OS from a hard drive to an SSD. Sector alignment between HDD's and SSD's may cause performance issues.
a c 385 G Storage
November 27, 2012 6:27:18 PM

cspike said:
For some reason I didn't think deleting the OS was as simple as removing a folder.

Often times, destroying is much easier than creating.
November 27, 2012 7:07:30 PM

Thanks for all of the comments. I will be able to put this advice to use in a few weeks as I just finished buying parts for a new home pc build.
!