Sign in with
Your question

SSD boot drive help.

Last response: in Storage
November 27, 2012 5:51:26 PM

Hello, this is my first post here. Anyways, I recently purchased a 128gb Samsung SSD make my boot drive, instead of my WD 500GB. Got Win7 installed, and got the other HDD plugged in and its being reconized in "my computer".

Question is, it appears that only some of my data is working properly. Mostly games with 3rd party launchers are what im having problems with. Steam is working okay, but others wont recognize the other HDD (origin and Uplay) and say that i need to re-download the games to my SSD. I've heard that i need to change the HDD to the AHCI setting, and when i do that windows crashes on boot.

Using an MSI 970a G45 mobo.

More about : ssd boot drive

a b G Storage
November 27, 2012 6:08:42 PM

Thingtwo said:
Hello, this is my first post here. Anyways, I recently purchased a 128gb Samsung SSD make my boot drive, instead of my WD 500GB. Got Win7 installed, and got the other HDD plugged in and its being reconized in "my computer".

Question is, it appears that only some of my data is working properly. Mostly games with 3rd party launchers are what im having problems with. Steam is working okay, but others wont recognize the other HDD (origin and Uplay) and say that i need to re-download the games to my SSD. I've heard that i need to change the HDD to the AHCI setting, and when i do that windows crashes on boot.

Using an MSI 970a G45 mobo.

So if you have all SATA drives then you should be using AHCI mode. However this needs to happen BEFORE you install windows, otherwise you'll get the symptoms you reproted every time. There is a workaround in that you can easily find by googling it, but it requires messing around in the registry. But if done correctly, its a fairly easy fix.

Especially important with an SSD, they perform much better in AHCI mode.

Now in regards to the games, you'll have to install the client on your HDD if that is where you want to install the games. I have had this issue before, and the SSD can fill up quickly if this is where you download and install everything.

If you are OK with doing a registry hack then I would do that. But honestly if you want to avoid complications I'd just do a windows reinstall after setting AHCI mode in the BIOS.
m
l
November 27, 2012 6:23:01 PM

Looks like this is a common enough issue that Microsoft made a little executable to edit your registry for you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Good luck, and let us know how it goes - I may need to do this do as I plan to clone a HDD to a SDD in the near future (twice).
m
l
November 27, 2012 6:45:04 PM

Okay, messed around in the registry and managed to switch it to AHCI.

That aside, I would like to have my games all run off my HDD and just use the SSD for my OS. I'm only having problems with Orgin and Uplay, Steam is working fine, including all my saves. But as far as BF3 and AC3 it wants me to re download. If i boot using the HDD all my stuff works fine. Why is it just these two games that want to re install when booting from the SSD? It it because of the 3rd party launchers not reading the other HDD? Or am I stupid and missing something?
m
l
!