Sign in with
Your question

Installed New Ripjaw Ram 4gx2 - computer won't boot

Last response: in Memory
July 6, 2011 9:02:35 PM

Any help would be appreciated.

My brother and I built a comp last year (mostly brother) and put CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 in a ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. After a few months the memory started misbehaving and I babied it for way too long until I stupidly put it to sleep and ugliness ensued.

used MemTest 86 and found that all three sticks of my RAM were bad. Two were completely crapped, one only had two errors. Somehow only using the one mildly bad stick alone let me boot into safe mode.

I ordered 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC and they came today. Followed all the instructions - installed four into the four slots and no start up. Mobo green light comes on, fans activate, but nothing else. No beep from mobo - with or without ram.

Tried only using two in the first two slots - nothing. Tried only using one in the slot where the wounded ram was functioning. Nada as well. Put back in the one corsair ram stick and the computer comes back to life and will marginally function in safe mode.

What am I doing wrong? Did I buy the wrong ram? I have successfully installed ram in the past but I am fully accepting of the fact that I am doing and/or have done something dumb.

thank you!

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX945WFGMBOX
a b } Memory
July 6, 2011 9:22:28 PM

Did you set the dimm voltage, timings and speed manually in the bios?

Your brother obviously doesn't know much about computers because he used a Intel memory kit (3 sticks) in a AMD motherboard.

Although it will work correctly, you do lose some performance that way.

I have used Corsair memory FOREVER and never had a single bad stick. My guess is he never set the correct voltage for the memory and just left it on auto.
m
l
July 6, 2011 9:25:30 PM

Is your bios up to date?... A similar problem happened to me and there was a bios patch which I needed to install that allowed my board to use 8gb.
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2011 9:38:17 PM

I didn't change any of the settings in BIOS. The only settings I have changed in BIOS were the boot order so I could run MemTest 86. My computer would get a nice BSOD a couple of times a week and warnings about bad memory frequently before the ram was run through MemTest 86.

Toneekay - How did you go about updating your bios? Experience with updating Bios has not always been good.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2011 9:39:24 PM

Quote:
I didn't change any of the settings in BIOS.

I'm trying to tell you that is your problem. Your not listening.
m
l
July 6, 2011 9:50:01 PM

Whoa. My apologies GeekApproved. Is there location you would recommend for a person to find the recommended settings for the dimm voltage, timings and speed?

Would these be applicable for the Corsair RAM or is it to enable my usage of the Ripjaw RAM?
m
l
July 6, 2011 9:51:51 PM

My motherboard's manufacturer website had a download for new bios and patches; most of them also had descriptions under it so I knew what I was downloading/updating. After downloading, I used the motherboard live update software toinstall the new bios patch.

After reading about your BSODs/warnings, it could also sound like Geek is correct about your RAM settings being off. The best way to fix that is to figure out the stock settings (on package or even online) and set those into the bios.

I would try and do both as some boards dont support up to 8gb without a bios update/patch.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2011 11:07:08 PM

selumina said:
Whoa. My apologies GeekApproved. Is there location you would recommend for a person to find the recommended settings for the dimm voltage, timings and speed?

Would these be applicable for the Corsair RAM or is it to enable my usage of the Ripjaw RAM?

The recommended settings are on the ram itself and/or on the package it came in. This could be the problem with both sets of ram, although I would stick to getting the gskill to work at this point.
m
l
July 6, 2011 11:10:04 PM

The BIOS update did it! Thank you so much. My computer will still only boot to safe mode but I think that is another issue to do with Windows 7 and ATI Catalyst nightmares. At least the ram is working.
m
l
July 6, 2011 11:45:20 PM

Nice to know the bios update helped!
m
l
a b } Memory
July 7, 2011 3:24:45 PM

A bios update may help, but if the voltage, timings and speed are not set correctly, your still going to have problems.

m
l
!