Nvidia dual graphic cards problems (PCIE & PCI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnimble

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to connect my third monitor to my Compaq desktop without much success. I recently got the GeForce 9800GT PCI-E graphic card that works well powering two monitors. I have an old Nvidia FX5500 PCI that I would like to power a third monitor.

My Compaq desktop has only 1 PCI-E x16 slot, one PCI-E x1 and one PCI. When I put the 9800GT by itself, it works fine. When I connect the FX5500 into the system, the fan on the 9800GT went to 100% and stays there when the system comes up (pressing the power button does that). The FX5500 works fine when I connect it by itself only. Together, the fan on the 9800GT is uncontrollable and is very loud... like an aircraft taking off.

In the past, I have a Dell with a GeForce 8600GT that appears to have the same problem when I added the FX5500.

Do you have any suggestions or tips to help me solve this problem? It is baffling since the only way I can drive 3 or 4 monitors is by using a 2nd PCI video card, and this doesn't seem to work.

Many thanks!
Gnimble

Solution

No you don't but the FX5500 is just a very old card and they don't use the same driver.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
You can't use those combinations of video cards for supporting more than 2 monitors at once.

If you want to drive 3 displays, you need to have an SLi solution, which will require two video cards that are both in PCI-E slots.

If you only want a single video card solution, you will need to purchase an ATI Eyefinity compatible video card, then purchase an ACTIVE displayport converter for the 3rd monitor connection.

No you don't but the FX5500 is just a very old card and they don't use the same driver.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.