Sign in with
Your question

New build, advise needed

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2010 2:26:45 PM

Hi there, I am new to the community, forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong section.

I am about to buy a new PC have pretty much everything figured out.... that's what I would like to think at least!! :o 

I just need some advise if my built isn't well thought out, if I should change anything or if it's good to go (particularly the cpu I am not sure about, though I have red that it's supposed to be pretty good value for money). To be more specific here's what I would like to know (any other tips are welcome of course):

1. I am a huge nvidia fan, I know some of you might say I should consider similar ATI cards (like the 5850 OC version). Go ahead and do it, I might end up changing my mind... :D 

2. I am thinking about adding another gtx470 in the near future, especially if the price goes down. Is the psu good enough to hold 2x470 in SLI?

3. Is there any need to overclock the CPU?

4. Should I buy case fans for all slots the case has to offer?

Thanks in advance for the help! Here's the build:

Case
PSU
Motherboard
CPU
GFX card
RAM
HDD 1
HDD 2

P.S: Sorry I couldn't get all the links from one single page

P.S2: I am from Greece and I am buying all the parts from here, prices differ a lot, in total, this build will cost me around 1650-1700 euro...

More about : build advise needed

August 24, 2010 3:38:03 PM

You should fill out form in the sticky, link in my sig.

Specifically, is this a gaming or workstation rig?
If it's gaming, you don't need an i7-870. An i5-750/760 is more than enough.

However P55 is being replaced end of this year and x58 mid next year.

For gaming a Phenom II x4 will work just as well as Intel CPU's and socket AM3 will be around for next gen AMD CPu's.

Also, UD5 really isn't needed, you can save some money with an Asus p7-p55d-e.

HD wise a 1tb samsung spinpoint F3 is a better buy. 50gb boot drive is pretty small. Also a major price shift in SSD's is coming soon so you may be better off just using creating a boot partition on the HD for now and simply image the boot sector onto the SSD later on.
August 24, 2010 3:57:46 PM

Really sorry for not posting as it's supposed to. Here's the form

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

BUDGET RANGE: 1400-1700 euro

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Working (mostly office, adobe dreamweaver and some older programs), internet, HD movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Actually, any retailer shipping across Europe (though it's more likely that I'll end up buying most parts from store here in Greece)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Greece

PARTS PREFERENCES: Preffer Nvidia over ATI, though I can't find anymore excuses nowadays why I do so :D  , thinking about buying a SSD disk, though I am not 100% sure (think I might be rushing a bit).

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, planning on buying another gtx 470 in the near future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 22" 1680x1050 Display

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The general idea is to buy a station that can perform really good now and for the 3-4 years to come (I know technology is evolving way too fast). Thanks for the help

@Banthracis
If both P55 and X58 are going to be replaced, what are the options for an intel based mobo? Also, I though about the i5 760 (was my other option), but I think the i7 870 will be better for the programs my gf uses (web design related stuff).
Related resources
August 24, 2010 4:12:05 PM

2x470 is about as powerful as you'll need for a good long while. There are no other alternatives to x58 and p55 as of now, but I think you might as well go for them since you're not going to find great SLI support on AMD motherboards (imo). Also, the next set of chips (bulldozer) from AMD are not going to be compatible with the current AMD chipset, so really everyone's in the same boat as far as "future proofing".

The PSU you linked is pretty top notch, and I think it should be able to handle 2x470's, but it might be a little tight if you OC everything (chip/gfx). Might be nice to up to a 850w PSU. The XFX 850 seems to run a bit cheaper than the Corsair (especially the modular one), but is just as high quality of a product. Don't know if it's available in Greece though =/.

SSD would be a great purchase, but I would maybe put it off til the winter, since prices are coming down pretty fast, especially in the consumer market.
August 24, 2010 6:35:13 PM

The prices over in the newegg site are pretty impressive, for example the psu you mentioned is way cheaper than I expected. Too bad they don't ship to Europe (or?)

Seems like you both convinced me to leave the SSD for now. Also I'll go for the Corsair 850W PSU (if I can't find the XFX that is :D ).

What bothers me now is the motherboard. Upon further review (links provided for choosing new parts) I am not sure if I should go for the 1156 socket (with the Gigabyte mobo and the i7-870) or a 1366 motherboard. In that case, what CPU would you guys suggest?
August 24, 2010 6:44:59 PM

NeoElemental said:
Also, the next set of chips (bulldozer) from AMD are not going to be compatible with the current AMD chipset, so really everyone's in the same boat as far as "future proofing".

Do you have a link/source for that?

Everything I've read indicates that Bulldozer will be supported on AM3. The mainstream chips (Zambezi?) are not going to be, perhaps that's what you were referring to?
August 24, 2010 7:39:31 PM

NeoElemental said:
Also, the next set of chips (bulldozer) from AMD are not going to be compatible with the current AMD chipset, so really everyone's in the same boat as far as "future proofing".

False.

Per AMD's own press releases, Bulldozer is socket AM3.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2871/2
August 24, 2010 7:49:15 PM

About my last post, anyone, please?
August 24, 2010 9:12:49 PM

banthracis said:
False.

Per AMD's own press releases, Bulldozer is socket AM3.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2871/2

Just to give some color, I have read a few articles that say that a new socket will be necessary. I don't know whether this is the case or not, but I do think that "futureproofing" is a fool's game in any case.

"The Scorius platform will use Zambezi CPUs using four or eight 32nm cores built using the new Bulldozer architecture. It will also be capable of support new 32nm Radeon GPUs.
Both the Scorpius and Lynx platforms will require new chipsets and socket in order to deliver on the promise of higher performance."

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Desktop+Roadmap+Features+B...

AMD officials say Bulldozer is being targeted at servers and performance desktop machines. The good news is that Bulldozer will be drop-in compatible with most current high-end servers. The bad news is that it won't be compatible with existing AM3 boards. Instead, AMD says it will introduce a new AM3+ socket.

http://gizmodo.com/5620423/amd-announces-8+core-bulldoz...

Spoiros, those are pretty quality components. Of course, stepping up to 1366 from 1156 is a pretty big jump in terms of $'s (or Euros in your case), without THAT much of a benefit for gaming. Most people would say if your primary use is going to be gaming, that the 760 would be just as good. This is because very few games use more than dual cores, so the extra CPU cores are functionally useless in most games. Unless you're doing cpu-heavy things (video encoding/editing, large photo editing), you probably won't notice much of a difference.
August 25, 2010 10:54:36 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, still haven't figured out which build to buy, but eventually I think I'll go for the 1156 socket, since it seems to be (and will be) pretty good for the next 3-4 years...

Cheers!
!