Sign in with
Your question

Win8 on HDD, Win7 on SSD

Last response: in Storage
November 27, 2012 7:02:34 PM

I will have a Desktop with Win8 pre-installed on HDD. I also have an empty SSD.

What I want is to install Win7 on the SSD. Keep the Win8 on HDD. And it would best to have a menu to select which system to enter.

When in Win7 on SSD, I will also want to use the HDD as storage.

Can this be done and how?

Your help is highly appreciated.

More about : win8 hdd win7 ssd

a c 119 G Storage
November 27, 2012 10:12:01 PM

You will be better off creating a second partition on the hard drive to use as a storage drive , how large is the hard drive that is coming with the computer ?
With two operating systems the bios will ask which one you want to load or you can create a dual boot menu that you can choose which one you want.
m
l
November 28, 2012 2:58:53 PM

inzone said:
You will be better off creating a second partition on the hard drive to use as a storage drive , how large is the hard drive that is coming with the computer ?
With two operating systems the bios will ask which one you want to load or you can create a dual boot menu that you can choose which one you want.

The hard drive is 1TB. Is there a safe way to allocate space for the second partition? I remember doing allocation with Partition Margic on system drive caused the system to not boot (Long time ago, maybe 8 years).

If I disconnect the HDD first, connect the SSD and clean install the Win7 on it and set it as the first boot drive. Then reconnect the HDD. Is it possible to create the boot menu for this situation?

Thanks very much.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 28, 2012 3:15:22 PM

You want to go into disk management to make the second partition on the 1 tb drive and it will tell you if it's possible or not. One issue that may come up is if the manufacturer of the decktop does not include a cd with the OS on it then chances are the hard drive will have a hiidden partition containing that and repair software as well.
You shoud disconnet the hard drive anyways to load Win7 on the SSD so there's no confusion. Once you recnnect the hard drive the computer may ask you if you want to set up dual boot or there may be something in the owners manual about that. You can also visit the link below.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012070/how-to-dual-boot...
m
l
!