Sign in with
Your question

A question regarding safety

Last response: in Components
November 11, 2010 1:17:47 PM

I'll be painting my case from the inside during the weekend and I've been wondering. When it comes to spray painting and especially highly flammable propellants, would it be safe to spray paint inside my basement since its main source of heat is a bunch of infrared heaters? http://4bars.com.au/web/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/infr...

Wouldn't red hot, bare metal rods + aerosol = BOOM ?

Or should I just pre heat the basement and then paint? Because since it's like -5 celsius outside, there's no other choice.

More about : question safety

November 11, 2010 6:04:04 PM

Your bigger concern is not combustion but asphyxiation. You will need some way of venting the paint fumes outside of your basement. If you could possibly connect a window fan to vent the air outside while you are painting, this will remove the fumes. This benefits you in two ways: 1) you won't suffocate to death and 2) you don't have any risk of combustion with no fumes.

If you can't vent the fumes from your basement, a better option might be to paint in your bathroom (assuming you have a vent in there). You can put paper up on the walls and floor of your tub or shower, turn on the overhead fan, and paint in there.

I really would not recommend painting in an unvented basement.
m
l
November 11, 2010 7:14:23 PM

Ventilation isn't a problem here, I'm just worried about accidental combustion. Two massive airshafts will take care of everything else.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2010 7:23:29 PM

Well, I'd recommend you turn off the heaters anyway. If you won't suffocate, in theory you won't combust either, but I'd be safer than sorry-er.
m
l
November 11, 2010 10:16:10 PM

do it in your garage
m
l
November 12, 2010 6:08:39 PM

hellwig said:
Well, I'd recommend you turn off the heaters anyway. If you won't suffocate, in theory you won't combust either, but I'd be safer than sorry-er.

Oh man, I guess you were right about ventilation. Half a gallon of primer and two spray paint cans later, I'm pretty much high as a kite. Case itself turned out pretty good, just had to have a break when the walls around me started floating.
m
l
November 12, 2010 6:31:40 PM

tehinternetguy said:
Oh man, I guess you were right about ventilation. Half a gallon of primer and two spray paint cans later, I'm pretty much high as a kite. Case itself turned out pretty good, just had to have a break when the walls around me started floating.

I hope you didn't lose too many braincells. Glad to hear your didn't burn-down your house.
m
l
November 13, 2010 1:31:21 PM

Well anyway, in case if you guys are wondering how it all turned out. Here's a picture. Oh yeah, that none black spot on my completely black case is due to camera flash. Two layers of matte black baby, the absolute blackest of black, so black in fact that I couldn't even check my paintjob for scratches without a flashlight.

http://tinypic.com/r/30cok05/7

It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.
m
l
!