Really cool skins - How?

I've noticed some really, really cool skins/models. One dude had a skin
where he looked like a lizard/Alien cross. The thing I don't understand is
how do players get to use those skins on different servers, yet they don't
appear in my choices for Player Setup?

Am I wrong in thinking that skin has to exist on the server the game is
hosted on, or on the client of the other players for them to see it? I
realize the dude with the cool skin has it local, but does it need to be
anywhere else to be seen and used in multiplayer games?

Another noob question, I know! : - ) I appreciate any feedback!

Mud_Jack
9 answers Last reply
More about really cool skins

    Mud_Jack wrote:
    > I've noticed some really, really cool skins/models. One dude had a skin
    > where he looked like a lizard/Alien cross. The thing I don't understand is
    > how do players get to use those skins on different servers, yet they don't
    > appear in my choices for Player Setup?

    Skaarj Hybrid.

    They're included with a Bonus Pack, I think it's 4. Most servers have
    these bp's installed, so you can use those skins (which also include an
    especially annoying cow skin). You probably downloaded SkeletalChars
    from a server sometime.

    Not used in clan play since they can induce lag on some low spec pc's
    (more detail) but they can be disabled if you get fed up seeing people
    with them to stop that lag, and it's quite fun to use them. :)

    --
    Flash

    "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
    > Mud_Jack wrote:
    >> I've noticed some really, really cool skins/models. One dude had a skin
    >> where he looked like a lizard/Alien cross. The thing I don't understand
    >> is how do players get to use those skins on different servers, yet they
    >> don't appear in my choices for Player Setup?
    >
    > Skaarj Hybrid.
    >
    > They're included with a Bonus Pack, I think it's 4. Most servers have
    > these bp's installed, so you can use those skins (which also include an
    > especially annoying cow skin). You probably downloaded SkeletalChars from
    > a server sometime.
    >
    > Not used in clan play since they can induce lag on some low spec pc's
    > (more detail) but they can be disabled if you get fed up seeing people
    > with them to stop that lag, and it's quite fun to use them. :)
    >
    > --
    > Flash

    Thanks. I noticed a cartoon character cat on one server, and a crippled old
    guy in a wheel chair with guns attached to the top of his chair. It was
    just bizarre. Appreciate the info!

    Mud_Jack

    "Mud_Jack" <lgalardi@cox.net> wrote in message
    | "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
    | > Mud_Jack wrote:
    | >> I've noticed some really, really cool skins/models. One dude had
    a skin
    | >> where he looked like a lizard/Alien cross. The thing I don't
    understand
    | >> is how do players get to use those skins on different servers,
    yet they
    | >> don't appear in my choices for Player Setup?
    | >
    | > Skaarj Hybrid.
    | >
    | > They're included with a Bonus Pack, I think it's 4. Most servers
    have
    | > these bp's installed, so you can use those skins (which also
    include an
    | > especially annoying cow skin). You probably downloaded
    SkeletalChars from
    | > a server sometime.
    | >
    | > Not used in clan play since they can induce lag on some low spec
    pc's
    | > (more detail) but they can be disabled if you get fed up seeing
    people
    | > with them to stop that lag, and it's quite fun to use them. :)
    | >
    | > --
    | > Flash
    |
    | Thanks. I noticed a cartoon character cat on one server, and a
    crippled old
    | guy in a wheel chair with guns attached to the top of his chair. It
    was
    | just bizarre. Appreciate the info!
    |
    | Mud_Jack

    Those custom skins are made available by specific servers. Any skins
    that are not part of original UT or the BPs will not be available on
    other servers, only on the server that is supporting them via a d/l
    file.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    "Mud_Jack" <lgalardi@cox.net> wrote in message
    > "Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
    >> Mud_Jack wrote:
    >>> I've noticed some really, really cool skins/models. One dude had a skin
    >>> where he looked like a lizard/Alien cross. The thing I don't understand
    >>> is how do players get to use those skins on different servers, yet they
    >>> don't appear in my choices for Player Setup?
    >>
    >> Skaarj Hybrid.
    >>
    >> They're included with a Bonus Pack, I think it's 4. Most servers have
    >> these bp's installed, so you can use those skins (which also include an
    >> especially annoying cow skin). You probably downloaded SkeletalChars from
    >> a server sometime.
    >>
    >> Not used in clan play since they can induce lag on some low spec pc's
    >> (more detail) but they can be disabled if you get fed up seeing people
    >> with them to stop that lag, and it's quite fun to use them. :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Flash
    >
    > Thanks. I noticed a cartoon character cat on one server, and a crippled
    > old guy in a wheel chair with guns attached to the top of his chair. It
    > was just bizarre. Appreciate the info!
    >
    > Mud_Jack

    The cartoon kats may be found by Googling " UT04_CATs.zip"... the file has
    several colors of kitty.

    !bungle
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mud_Jack wrote:
    > Thanks. I noticed a cartoon character cat on one server, and a crippled old
    > guy in a wheel chair with guns attached to the top of his chair. It was
    > just bizarre. Appreciate the info!

    Heh - well that's not part of any official mod, but sounds like the
    admin of that server's got some mates who wanted to try some of the
    cartoon skin mods for ut that are out there.

    Not many servers have then, since everyone has to download the huge
    texture files when they connect, even if that player isn't online.

    --
    Flash
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    OK, so from what I understand, the skins have to be on the server in order
    for me to use them in a game on the server. Is that a correct statement?
    Ofcourse, they download to my machine which I have seen happen before. It
    does kind of blow, because sometimes I'll be downloading for freaking ever
    before the game starts. Skin after skin......

    Secondly, they don't seem to appear in my player setup menu automatically.
    Are there changes to any .ini files or something explicit a guy has to do to
    have the skins available for the game?

    Thanks again,

    ~Mud_Jack

    > Mud_Jack wrote:
    >> Thanks. I noticed a cartoon character cat on one server, and a crippled
    >> old guy in a wheel chair with guns attached to the top of his chair. It
    >> was just bizarre. Appreciate the info!
    >
    > Heh - well that's not part of any official mod, but sounds like the admin
    > of that server's got some mates who wanted to try some of the cartoon skin
    > mods for ut that are out there.
    >
    > Not many servers have then, since everyone has to download the huge
    > texture files when they connect, even if that player isn't online.
    >
    > --
    > Flash
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:57:08 -0600, Mud_Jack wrote:

    > Secondly, they don't seem to appear in my player setup menu automatically.
    > Are there changes to any .ini files or something explicit a guy has to do
    > to have the skins available for the game?

    The skins you've downloaded are in your cache directory with a long
    numeric name. The cache.ini file (in the same directory) will tell you
    their proper name. Once re-named, they need to go in the texture
    directory. An .int file is also needed (you could write your own) before
    the skins will show up on your client. All in all, it's just easier to
    find the skin on one of the archive sites (google for the skin name) and
    install it as the author intended. The above applies to UT99, UT2k4 may
    have minor differences but the general idea is the same.

    --
    {AGUT}DeadMan
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:50:57 -0600, "Mud_Jack" <lgalardi@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >"Flash" <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote in message
    >> Mud_Jack wrote:
    >>> I've noticed some really, really cool skins/models. One dude had a skin
    >>> where he looked like a lizard/Alien cross. The thing I don't understand
    >>> is how do players get to use those skins on different servers, yet they
    >>> don't appear in my choices for Player Setup?
    >>
    >> Skaarj Hybrid.
    >>
    >> They're included with a Bonus Pack, I think it's 4. Most servers have
    >> these bp's installed, so you can use those skins (which also include an
    >> especially annoying cow skin). You probably downloaded SkeletalChars from
    >> a server sometime.
    >>
    >> Not used in clan play since they can induce lag on some low spec pc's
    >> (more detail) but they can be disabled if you get fed up seeing people
    >> with them to stop that lag, and it's quite fun to use them. :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Flash
    >
    >Thanks. I noticed a cartoon character cat on one server, and a crippled old
    >guy in a wheel chair with guns attached to the top of his chair. It was

    that's my fave skin, for some reason it reminds me of stephen hawkins
    with attitude.

    >just bizarre. Appreciate the info!
    >
    >Mud_Jack

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:25:46 -0500, {AGUT}DeadMan
    <oldman1961@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:57:08 -0600, Mud_Jack wrote:
    >
    >> Secondly, they don't seem to appear in my player setup menu automatically.
    >> Are there changes to any .ini files or something explicit a guy has to do
    >> to have the skins available for the game?
    >
    >The skins you've downloaded are in your cache directory with a long
    >numeric name. The cache.ini file (in the same directory) will tell you
    >their proper name. Once re-named, they need to go in the texture
    >directory. An .int file is also needed (you could write your own) before
    >the skins will show up on your client. All in all, it's just easier to
    >find the skin on one of the archive sites (google for the skin name) and
    >install it as the author intended. The above applies to UT99, UT2k4 may
    >have minor differences but the general idea is the same.

    you can also use a nice cache utility to move the files to the right
    place. look on google for ut cache manager; ut cache cleaner and ut
    map manager.

Games Servers Video Games