Desktop window manager responsiveness has degraded event

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesferkicks

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hello, Get constant "not responding" from nearly every program. Event log jammed full of event errors 500 & 501. Event: The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded.

Solution

Most likely cause is an errant program running in the background, sucking up your CPU cycles. Check in task manager to see if you can ID something.

Most likely cause is an errant program running in the background, sucking up your CPU cycles. Check in task manager to see if you can ID something.

Solution

jesferkicks

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
First off I'd grade your response as the best answer but such a button is not evident. Why do these forums make things hard? Anyway, if I find such a button I'll definitely press it.

I tried your suggestion and fired up SysInternals Process Explorer and found a strange applet called audiodg.exe using up 18+ percent of my cpu cycles. This was during a time when I had neither a tune nor a video playing. Thought that was strange, killed the process and went about my business. Leaving Process Explorer running on screen 2 I tried launching tunes, then movies, then download streams but good ole audiodg didn't pop back up. So I don't know. I still get this goofy "not responding" action from virtually every app I run and Process Explorer lists no major cpu cycle killers. Strange brew. What I did notice in this exercise is the shear magnitude of Firefoxes memory demands. It so looks like memory leaks, begins with maybe 300-400k usage and ramps up to 2.7-2.8 megs when I'm doing nothing within the app. Using FF 9. Anyway, appreciate your quick response and guidance on tools I can use in my daunting trip through the world of windows. When someone gives me a hint on how to log your response as the best, I'll do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.