killingzeasy

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hi,

I'm not sure where exactly this should be posted as I don't know what exactly the issue is...

I have a computer, probably about five years old now (specs to follow,) which seems to boot up fine but will not bring up a display on my monitor. Monitor works fine having been tested with laptop, so monitor issues can be discounted. I used to have a Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 256MB graphics card installed, which worked find for several years (installed PCIe,) which was replaced with an AGP ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB.

I started having issues where both the sound and display would cut off (fans, hard disks, etc were still running,) which developed into a situation whereby my monitor was receiving no signal.

Assuming (or at least considering,) that this was a fault with the graphics card I went ahead and purchased a replacement Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCIe, (since I'm not especially handy with computers but figured since this was virtually the same card as I had previously installed, it ought to work and be compatiable, etc.)

I still get no display signal.

Can someone please advise what is likely to be causing this issue? Is it worth getting someone to take a look at it?

Regards,
KV

SPECS:
ECS K8T890-A Version 1.0 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 3500+
MS Windows XP Home
1GB RAM

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
My first guess is that you could have a problem with your motherboard if your replacement video card isn't working. It could also be a Power Supply problem too if your PSU is dying.

If it's 5 years old, hardware problems could definitely be abound.

Do you have another computer you can try your old video card in to make sure it's not the video card?

killingzeasy

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I have an even older monstrocity that I could give it a try on; though I can't remember if it even has the same slots!

I'm hoping its not a motherboard issue since I know that they can be quite pricey and there could be compatiability issues; I think I saw the same model, etc for around £40, which wasn't too terrible but still not fun since I'm *whispers* currently unemployed.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
You could try and pop it into a friends computer that has an nvidia card in case your other compy doesn't have the same slots.

I know hardware failure sucks, it happens to everyone!

killingzeasy

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Nope, old comp is virtually archaic and nobody I know with suitable comp.

Neither of the three graphics cards I've tried in the current computer managed to bring up a display.

So it could definitely be a motherboard failure, but still worth getting someone to take a look, even if it is just confirms that I need to replace the motherboard.