Sign in with
Your question

Data Recovery

Last response: in Storage
November 27, 2012 7:50:30 PM

I crashed a motnerboard or power supply on my old Dell XP desktop. Removed hard drive, installed in a external drive case, connected to my new Dell Windows 7 Desktop. System stated reformat old drive to access it. Attached it to my Laptop Vista computer and was able to open and see files. Reconnected to Windows 7 and was asked to format. Tried again on Laptop and was now asked to reformat. I do not have all the data backed up so I don't want to format and erase the drive. Any solutions???

Gary

More about : data recovery

a c 119 G Storage
November 27, 2012 9:30:34 PM

When you format a drive you don't actually erase anything you just make it so the drive can be written to and all the space is made available. You only lose the data when you write over it. There are some free software that can recover data before or after it's been formatted. This link is for one such program.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download
November 28, 2012 3:57:36 AM

Quote:
Apparently, you have no choice but to format it if you want to use this drive on your laptop.
However, even though the formatting may not completely erase your files inside it, this formatting process may also damage some part of all your files. Therefore, you should apply a third party recovery tool to help you strong them at first.
As tot he recovery tool, this free one can absolutely fix your problem:
http://www.squidoo.com/not-formatted-error
Every time, it can freely and successfully restore my unformatted files from my drive. It not only offers four recovery options for users to choose, such as "Format Recovery" or "Advanced Files Recovery", etc. It also allows the users to select the needed files to recover and preview the recovered files. You should try it.
Note for you:
1. Stop using this drive right now to avoid overwrite the original data, which can make your files irrecoverable.
2. Save your recovered files on a different storage device in case of recovery failure.
3. Never forget to format it after the recovery process.
4. Always back up you data in the future.

Thanks a million for this solution get my sister out of trouble when her sd card has reported not formatted error when connecting to her PC.
Related resources
November 28, 2012 6:26:52 PM

GaryK45 said:
I crashed a motnerboard or power supply on my old Dell XP desktop. Removed hard drive, installed in a external drive case, connected to my new Dell Windows 7 Desktop. System stated reformat old drive to access it. Attached it to my Laptop Vista computer and was able to open and see files. Reconnected to Windows 7 and was asked to format. Tried again on Laptop and was now asked to reformat. I do not have all the data backed up so I don't want to format and erase the drive. Any solutions???

Gary

Hi Gary -

The link below is a demo of Data Rescue PC 3 that Dell actually sells on their website.
It has steps on how to get started and technical support contact info if needed.

In many cases Data Rescue PC 3 can scan & recover your files to another hard drive.
Dont format the drive before you recover your files , you will loose all of your file names and meta-data of all media formats including audio libraries.

http://www.prosofteng.com/DRTwitter-pc.php

Good luck and fee free to ping us if you need help.

Regards,

Prosoft Support
a c 272 G Storage
November 29, 2012 2:49:39 AM

Formatting a drive is data destructive. DO NOT do this if you want to save your data.

In fact a full format (the default?) in Windows 7 will write zeros to every sector on your drive, so you will be able to recover absolutely nothing.
November 30, 2012 2:01:57 AM

I had same problem with my hard drive and I installed
http://www.easeus.com/
ease data recovery.
It took some time to scan all of my files, but it worked like a charm... It's free, and it's good!

Like people said before me, data stored on your HD is very resistant... just don't use yur HD untill you scan it first with some of these software ;) 
!