c_for

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a system with customized ductwork. I've been searching online and have not found anything close to what I am planing. If anyone here has any ideas or has found anything online like this please direct me.

So here it is.

I am currently using the NZXT Whisper. It is an incredibly quiet case. It is made of thick metal panels which are lined with sound reducing foam. It is unfortunately made with very poor airflow. Here is a pic.

It comes with a 120mm output on the top rear, a 120mm intake on the front in the lower section and 2 80mm outputs on the rear as output. The lower section is essentially cut off from the upper section and due to the fan layout this creates two negative airflow compartments. The upper section which requires more airflow(cpu, gpu, nb) has to steal air which the superior output of the lower section doesn't want to give up.

As an experiment I changed the direction of the fans in the lower rear to intake(psu,2x80mm). This created a large positive pressure section in bottom which pushed fresh air into the upper section. Doing this lowered my cpu load temperature from 74C to 68C. I was really pleased as the temp was a little worrysome.

My work is getting rid of overtime so I will soon have a lot of time on my hands. My next plan to create a customized airduct system.

The plan
-Upgrade all fans to the quietest ones i can find that are still powerful.

-make the lower section as airtight as possible. Disassemble the case and use insulation foam to block all the holes. Have one central location where cables from the upper section enter the lower section. Fill in any gaps through the cable entrance with expanding foam insulation.

-Create one large 5" duct fed by a 120mm fan from the lower section directly into the cpu cooler. As well as a 5" duct leading from the cpu cooler directly out the rear where there is currently a 120mm fan that I will remove.

-Create one 3" duct fed by a 80mm fan from the lower section. This duct will pass by a second 80mm fan before reducing to a 2" pipe, travelling around the gpu in a U-bend and travelling close to the mobo. Just before passing by the Northbridge there will be a 60mm fan before the duct reduces to a 1" pipe and angling towards the ram where it will be capped. At various points along this duct small holes will be drilled about 1mm diameter and angled in the direction of airflow to direct wind out over the MoBo. Extra airflow will be directed at the GPU blower intake, northbridge and ram.

So any tips or comments?

notsonoobPCguy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
If i were you, i would lay down a fan below the graphics card, and then one where your black bar is on your diagram, i know air can't just turn on a dime but your HSF should be powerful enough to drag cool air through. Anyways it looks like neat project, i hope it ends up working to your advantage. I did a case mod my self and actually ditched normal cases and built a square plexiglass toped wood case and my temps dropped 5 to 10C.

c_for

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

I forgot to say the black bars are fans.

The fan on the large duct would be a 120mm fan which leads to the cpu cooler which is v6gt with 2 120mm fans in a push/pull configuration.

c_for

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Yeah 60mm, all fans will be connected to controllers so depending on noise level i can slow it. The reason I made it smaller was to match the reduction in size of the duct. The reason I see that the duct needs to shrink over time is to ensure that plenty of air will be forced out the holes that are drilled along that pipe. I figure without the holes not much air will be forced out due to the path of least resistance. I think I could run the 60mm pretty slow as it is not there to speed up the air, it's only purpose is to keep the air from slowing down as it reaches the capped end. The capped end will have holes in it(like a shower head) directing the air at the ram.

Come to think of it I may not even need fans in the duct at all, the fans at the start of the tube may be enough. I should try it first without the fans in the middle of the tube. I will likely still need them at the start to assist in pulling air into the ducts.

notsonoobPCguy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
I say the less fans the better in a way, i kept air flow SUPER simple with my case. I have 1 120mm Antec 3 speed in the front pulling cold air from my usually open window in, than two 120mm fans at the back one right behind the CPU heatsink and one 3 or 4" away from my graphics card and it just pulls air right from it and out the case. So the simpler you keep your airflow the better it is, or thats what i found out at least.

c_for

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
What I will likely do is build it first with fans only at the entrance to the ducts. That will actually work perfectly for the controller i'm looking at which is the NZXT Sentry LX LCD Fan Controller. My only worry is keeping airflow powerfull enough along both ducts. The CPU cooler is a beast and pulls a lot of air.

Would I be able to use fans to slow down airflow? If I find one duct is getting too much airflow would I be able to slow it down by running a fan slower than the air is passing by? Seems to me logically this should work. Would this create a lot of noise?

D

Deleted member 217926

Why not just buy a better case? As you said that case has very poor airflow. Check out the CoolerMaster HAF series and the Antec 300/900/1200, DF line and Lanboy series.

I have 7 x 120mm and 1 x 200mm case fans in my Antec 1200 and that does not include the 120mm heat sink fan, 140mm PSU fan and GPU fan.

My 4ghz E8400 is idling at 26C right now and my GTX460 is at 29C. The processor runs in the 50s under load and the GTX460 might hit 60C after hours of playing games.