Memory cooling using all 4 DIMM slots.

EternalWolf

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Hello, I was wondering if I need a memory cooler if I am using all 4 DIMM slots. The manual for my Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z says, "For system stability, use a more efficient memory cooling system to support a full memory load(4 DIMMs) or overclocking condition."

I have an i7-2600k and am using a Noctua NH-D14 heatsink so I can get any memory with a big heatsink or memory cooler on it.

This is the memory I have and I want to make sure its ok to put one in each DIMM slot, I dont want to run into problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104236&cm_re=kingston_grey-_-20-104-236-_-Product

Will it be ok or no? If so can I run it at 2133MHz or no?

Those HyperX don't look like they have good heat sinks, 1.65v RAM runs warm but not hot, and it's generally not a real problem with 4x2GB as it is with 4x4GB.

Most 2133 MHz kits are 1.6~1.65v. The Corsair and G.SKILL's with the RAM Fans are more for the ooooh look'n cool factor than real cooling.

So, 2133 MHz 4x2GB with poor heatsinks - couldn't hurt and you'll need a fan controller otherwise they're really noisy. I prefer the Corsair CMXAF2 but ONLY on a controller.

edit: just noticed {NH-D14} do you even have the room???

EternalWolf

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
No I dont have room to get memory cooling, thats why I wanted to know if I need cooling or not. I dont understand though, whats the point of the Noctua NH-DI4 if it doesnt allow you to use all DIMM slots? Shouldnt it be one of the worst rated coolers if you cant even use memory with it? I am not doing liquid cooling so basically this entire build has to be thrown away because of this memory problem, it took me forever to get everything color coordinated and now I find out that ram is useless with the Noctua heatsink.

I cant get a cooler and I cant get a memory with a heatsink on it like Corsair Dominator or whatever.

If you see my posts on the NH-D14 you'll know that I don't recommend it; it's like a lawnmower engine.

You'll probably be fine if your case has good airflow, and in particular if it has Top Fan.

There are a ton of HSF benches out there and all sorts of opinions, and trust that 'I get' looks. You might want to look at the Corsair H70 or smaller H60. Others:
Thermaltake Frio
Prolimatech Megahalems
Tuniq Tower 120
Scythe SCMG-2100

Choosing a HSF because of 1~3C is absurd if you ignore everything else: Size, Looks, Noise, etc.

This site will get you perked-up 'PC Centerfolds' -> http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/