Hp personal media drive

Adcol4

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I've had a hp personal media drive 300gb for a while and stored lots of very important pics on.I lost the power supply and have just got a new one. When I have tried to connect it to the same laptop it isn't responding and the blue power light on the front keeps on flashing? Can anyone please help coz as I sai earlier these pics are important ( my son as a baby ) and irreplaceable. It would be very appreciated. Thanks

Adcol4

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Im not sure. Hopefully anyway. I don't know how to put a photo on here so I'll just write out whats in the power supply.
Switching mode
Power supply
P/n: 12552110uk
Model:saw24-120-2000
Input/100-240v~50-60hz 0.8a
Output:12v. 2000mA

Hopefully that's ok for you .thanks.

I found a datasheet, but it doesn't show the polarity:
http://pdt.static.globalsources.com.cn/IMAGES/PDT/SPEC/196/K5022071196.pdf

Neither does this photo:
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/939145/9488446/0/1280973211/12V2A_desktop_power_adapter.jpg

At the bottom of the label, where it says "Made in China", there is a polarity drawing for the DC plug. Does the plus (+) terminal connect to the inside pin or to the outside of the barrel? Most drives appear to be wired with the centre pin positive.

Before you obtained your replacement supply, did you try any other adapter? For example, did you attempt to use your laptop adapter? Laptop adapters are typically rated for 19VDC and will damage your drive.

Adcol4

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
No I didn't try another coz I didn't hAve one with the right plug on it.. The plus connects to the inside pin.

Does the drive spin up, or does it make any sound or vibration, however soft, as if it is trying to spin up?

To eliminate the enclosure as a potential culprit, you may need to remove the drive and connect it directly to your computer's motherboard.

G

I have a similar problem. "The USB device is not recognized by windows" and the yellow HD led is not on, only the blue power.

Does anyone know how to open this 'canister'??

//Ansi

Anders Simonsson

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Found it myself.
Brute force to remove the plastic sidepanels which hides 8 screws. Remove these and you can remove front and back cover to get the internal HD. Attach the HD to pc to check if it is broken or not. You can connect it to internal sata or sata to USB connector.
Good luck. :)