The right motherboard for my dedicated emulator system

jgires

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
I recently decided i wanted to make a dedicated emulator system that runs emulators for older systems such as the ps2, and as far back as the nes. I would also like to have it run a standalone operating system that isn't very big, but will allow me to run emulators. My current hardware i have put together is listed below.

- Western Digital WD6400AAKS Caviar Blue 640 GB,7200 RPM
- Sentey SS1-2421 Slim Tower Case
- EVGA nVidia e-GeForce 6200LE 256 MB 256-P1-N400-LR
- JetWay JM26GT4-A-LF AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA NF6100-430 (MCP61P) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
- Kingston ValueRam 4 GB Kit (2x2 GB Modules) 1333MHz PC3-1066 DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory KVR1333D3N9K2/4g
- TR R1 Series cpu cooling fan
- Coolmax 300W M-ATX Power Supply CM-300

Im a little bit of a newbie when it comes to choosing hardware, so i need a little help, and if possible i would like to spend less than $300.00. Also any operating systems you would recommend that are free, or very cheap? I need to know if these parts will work together, or if i have done something wrong. If it is not possible to emulate the ps2 for this price that is fine as long as it can emulate the wii, gamecube, Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and the Nintendo Entertainment System.

What CPU are you using with that? And a GF 6200LE is entirely too weak to be doing PSX / PS2 emulation.

I use eSPXe and PCSX2 for emulating both a PSX and a PS2 and their pretty hard on the both the CPU and GPU, especially if your plan on running in high resolutions with pixel shaders and other "look good" features. I'd recommend a 8800GTX as an absolute minimum. Otherwise you'll get piss poor emulation speeds and frame rates.