dark pictures

I am running Windows XP and have noticed that the pictures on web pages seem
to be way too dark. Is there anything I can do about it?
Thanks,
H.B.
4 answers Last reply
More about dark pictures

    H.B. wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP and have noticed that the pictures on web
    > pages seem to be way too dark. Is there anything I can do about it?

    If you right-click and Save As on these pictures and open them in your
    favorite editing application.. Are they still dark?
    If so - adjust your monitor brightness/contrast with the software and/or
    hardware.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Yes, they are still dark when I view them in picture viewer, i.e. ACDC. What
    type of software are you referring to? I have searched around looking at
    trouble-shooting options and have came up with no answers.
    Thanks,
    H.B.

    H.B. wrote:
    > Yes, they are still dark when I view them in picture viewer, i.e.
    > ACDC. What type of software are you referring to? I have searched
    > around looking at trouble-shooting options and have came up with no
    > answers.

    Usually your monitor has controls built in for contrast/brightness - just
    like a television.
    Also - if you have your proper video drivers from the manufacturer
    installed, they usually have utilities (accessible from Control Panel ->
    Display properties) for this as well.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:59:14 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"

    >Usually your monitor has controls built in for contrast/brightness - just
    >like a television.

    >Also - if you have your proper video drivers from the manufacturer
    >installed, they usually have utilities (accessible from Control Panel ->
    >Display properties) for this as well.

    What the eye craves is contrast, and so the tendency is to make things
    brighter and brighter, just as it is to turn music louder and louder.

    But a bright screen makes the rest of the room look dark, and a bright
    CRT blasts more UV at you (other frequencies, such as X-Rays, may be
    within the Recommended Daily Allowance, but a particular UV is high)

    So normally what I do is turn brightness down to the point that the
    glimmer on "black" vanishes *test with a full-screen Cmd prompt), then
    turn up the contrast to taste.

    This may still leave you with games and pictures looking "too dark",
    and the best answer there is not to fiddle with brightness (washes
    everything out as "too pale") or contrast (stretches the dynamic
    range, making things harsher, but mid-tones still too dark).

    Instead, look for a gamma control. The monitor won't have this, but
    your display drivers in Windows might. What this does is change the
    relationship between how dark the mid-tones are, with how dark they
    appear - the normal (1.0) straight line relationship can be curved
    upwards for gamma > 1.0, so that mid-tones lighten up while the blacks
    and bright whites stay the same.

    CRT and laptop LCDs have different gamma charactaristics, which is why
    the UI greys often look nearly white on a laptop's LCD. You may well
    need to compensate for CRT's typically too-dark mid-tones, which is a
    problem familliar with players of Doom, Quake, etc.

    You can sometimes get scientific about this, if you have a "gamma
    card" dialog box to play with. This compares various mid-tones with
    patterns of black and bright white, so they can be adjusted to match;
    this gives a truly neutral gamma on the display, irrespective of how
    skewed the actual monitor's charactaristics are.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP