Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading cpu/mobo/ram

Last response: in CPUs
November 11, 2010 5:01:31 PM

I am looking to upgrade my cpu, mobo and my memory. My total budget is 250-300. I am willing/planning on waiting to see what blackfriday sales show up, but i would like some advice on what i should be able to get with my money. My current system is:

amd athlon x2 5600+
asus M2N68-LA (Narra2) motherboard
4 gb ddr2
xfx 5770
xfx 650w PSU
250gb harddrive
windows 7

thanks

More about : upgrading cpu mobo ram

a c 131 à CPUs
November 11, 2010 5:45:05 PM

A couple questions:
do you need crossfire support or want it?
what are your uses for your computer?

Without that information, and assuming gaming, I would recommend you upgrade only the CPU to a phenom IIx4. Because honestly, DDR2 to DDR3 performance is not noticable. And your motherboard is still fine, I see no reason to upgrade.

Edit: google search results indicate that you are running and OEM system made my HP. You really need to tell us these things as that changes everything.

Anyway, CPU, motherboard and ram.
Expect to pay about $80 for a decent DDR3 non-crossfire board. I'd recommend 4GB of memory in two slots (2x2GB) to give you room to upgrade andI'd recommend an athlon IIx3 minimum.
m
l
Related resources
November 11, 2010 11:12:00 PM

yes i use my computer for gaming(sc2, hon, tf2, cod:bo etc) but I also do some programming on it. i put the xfx psu and graphics card in my self. I would like to be able to crossfire some time in the future. The plan is to slowly switch out the stock parts of my hp machine till it is a completely new machine.

enzo matrix, you suggested i upgrade to an phenom IIx4 but they all seem to use a AM3 socket and my mother board uses a AM2. Are they backwards compatible?
m
l

Best solution

a c 131 à CPUs
November 12, 2010 4:58:15 AM

calidus said:
yes i use my computer for gaming(sc2, hon, tf2, cod:bo etc) but I also do some programming on it. i put the xfx psu and graphics card in my self. I would like to be able to crossfire some time in the future. The plan is to slowly switch out the stock parts of my hp machine till it is a completely new machine.

enzo matrix, you suggested i upgrade to an phenom IIx4 but they all seem to use a AM3 socket and my mother board uses a AM2. Are they backwards compatible?

I corrected myself when I realized you had an OEM motherboard. The support is not as complete so I would not risk it. Officially your motherboard supports up to the original phenom x4 9x00 models.

AM3 is backward compatible to AM2 and AM2+ but this also depends on wattage support and bios support and chipset support. With an OEM motherboard, there will never be a bios update to support newer CPUs.

I'll make it more clear that I made a correction.
November 12, 2010 12:58:40 PM

that makes more sense now. thanks.
m
l
December 1, 2010 9:30:34 PM

Best answer selected by calidus.
m
l
!