Sign in with
Your question

Mem.module dying on me for the 2nd time: motherboard's fault?

Last response: in Memory
July 7, 2011 8:03:23 AM

Hi,

When a memory module goes wrong, how (un)likely is this the motherboard's fault?

Here is my situation:

I have a Jetway NC94FL-525-LF motherboard (Atom D525 + Intel NM10 chipset).

When I purchased the motherboard I also bought a set of two CM2X2048-6400C5 memory modules. The modules are in the QVL for this motherboard.

The second module died on me about a month after the purchase. I got a new module, which lasted about 4 months. The memory module in DIMM slot 2 is always the one going wrong.

The first time the problem *seemed* to happen after many Suspend To Ram/Resume cycles.
The second time it happened just like that, not even under load.

My computer is ventilated correctly, and the CPU temp never goes above 60°C (don't know about the board temp but it seems fine).

My question is the following: could it be a problem with the motherboard?

Is there anything I could do to prevent this kind of problem?
If this is most likely a Corsair module problem, could you recommend an alternative / another brand?)

Thanks,
-MB
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 128 } Memory
July 7, 2011 9:53:14 AM

I currently use gskill 1600 1.5v, and it works fine. But it's quite possible that your ram slot is the problem. I would change motherboards instead. Jetway support is questionable; try requesting an rma and give them 24 hours to respond.
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 7, 2011 6:33:10 PM

I don’t think that it is a motherboard problem; it is much more likely that you have a temperature problem and that a small local fan might stop the problem. You should also check the DRAM voltage for your memory in the BIOS and ensure that it is correct for your memory modules.
Looking around on the internet it seems a number of people have been having problems with CM2X2048-6400C5 memory modules failing after a short time it could be that Corsair are having quality issues.
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 128 } Memory
July 7, 2011 11:15:19 PM

It's hard to test some individual slots. I once got 3 bad rma boards from msi; they all had a bad memory controller. They finally sent me a new board with different chipset, which solved the problem.
July 9, 2011 6:01:49 AM

pjmelect said:
I don’t think that it is a motherboard problem; it is much more likely that you have a temperature problem and that a small local fan might stop the problem. You should also check the DRAM voltage for your memory in the BIOS and ensure that it is correct for your memory modules.
Looking around on the internet it seems a number of people have been having problems with CM2X2048-6400C5 memory modules failing after a short time it could be that Corsair are having quality issues.

You're right, I can see there are a few problems reported with CM2X2048-6400C5 modules.
My case is a Silverstone SG-05, and the 120mm case fan running at 1100 rpm is blowing air inside the case right in front (2 inches) of the modules, so I do not believe there is a temperature problem.
In the BIOS the reported voltage is 1.80V which is correct for these modules.

o1die, what is the part number of your modules? Do you have the module QVL somewhere? And I can't find it anymore on the web site. Ouch.

a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 128 } Memory
July 9, 2011 11:40:47 AM

You are correct. I don't see any qvl listing on jetway's webpage. I would go ahead and get another replacement from corsair, and sell them and try some crucial or kingston ram instead. I use craigslist to buy and sell some parts. Anandtech is also good.
!