omnomnom

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
So i have an NZXT vulcan
with two 120mm fans on top (both exhaust)
a 92mm fan on the back(exhaust)
and another 120mm fan in the front (intake)
finally 1 200mm fan on the side (intake)

i have a Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B Heatsink for my CPU

i ran prime 95 and got temps of 68-69 for my CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition i OC to 3.7) i was wondering if these are good temps and if i should replace my heatsink with an h50? should i rearrange my top two 120mm fans? (one intake one exhaust?)
i recently saw this video and it made me want to get an H50 :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ZLy20I2L8

thank you.

Solution
Temps of 68 is not good. The water cooled option will help.

I have used this heat sink on my P4 3.2 HT cpu and seems lacking. I have a zalman 9900A on my i5, now, and it is much better like 10C better. BTW I used the shuriken heat sink on my i5 before i bought the zalman and it was not much better than the stock intel heat sink.

My experience may be more related to the crappy attachment device intel and shuriken used for the 1156 chipset. What kind of thermal paste did you use and is it applied thin and even?

My i5 650 is overclocked to 4.2 ghz and runs less than 60c under load using this zalman heatsink and a crappy mATX case with one 120mm fan and one 92mm fan.

I have been eyeing this nzxt case you have for a couple...

asven1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Temps of 68 is not good. The water cooled option will help.

I have used this heat sink on my P4 3.2 HT cpu and seems lacking. I have a zalman 9900A on my i5, now, and it is much better like 10C better. BTW I used the shuriken heat sink on my i5 before i bought the zalman and it was not much better than the stock intel heat sink.

My experience may be more related to the crappy attachment device intel and shuriken used for the 1156 chipset. What kind of thermal paste did you use and is it applied thin and even?

My i5 650 is overclocked to 4.2 ghz and runs less than 60c under load using this zalman heatsink and a crappy mATX case with one 120mm fan and one 92mm fan.

I have been eyeing this nzxt case you have for a couple months now, I think handles are cool.

Solution

omnomnom

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
well i can only use a 92mm for the back exhaust because thats all the NZXT vulcan can use (its a MATX case)

i used AS5 thermal paste this was my first time ever applying thermalpaste to cpu (my first build ever) so i might have applied it wrong...

omnomnom

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
well looks like im going to have to get the h50 and make sure to add the thermal paste on the heatsink evenly and thin instead of putting it on the CPU like i did before...