These parts ok?

I wanna make a very, very cheap gaming PC that is pretty good. I can get it cheap because I can get some parts from someone.

here's a list of Components
Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-M Evo
G. Card: Radeon HD 5850
Processor: AMD Phenom II x2 555 3.2GHz / AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz

What I want to know is if the parts are compatible and if the pretty large 5850 would fit on the mobo, if not, please give good cheap alternatives if you can :) Also i'm not sure how good a processor i need, someone tells me "YOU DON'T NEED A REALLY GOOD PROCESSOR!" but i think they're wrong because there's bottlenecking which wastes g. card potential (like the 5850). I think it's the clock speed that affects bottlenecking but i'm not sure, what I want is to play new games mostly, so do i NEED a quad, or will the inferior x2 555 really be fine?

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about these parts
  1. The 5850 will fit in the ASUS AM3 EVO no problem, however, your case and PSU will be the limitation here. The 5850 is a big card.

The Phenom II X2 555 is fine for most game that are not CPU bound, but for games like GTAIV, FSX, you want a Quad. You will need a Quad down the road any ways, so may as well get one now (unless budget is a problem, in which case you could look at a Athlon II X4 or get the Phenom II X2/X3).

List PSU and case before we can tell you if every thing will work fine.
  2. Well I don't actually know what PCU or case yet, I'll need a full tower so I might have to buy it, if the person has a PCU of 600W 650W or something I can use that..
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Processors Graphics