Sign in with
Your question

These parts ok?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2010 6:05:18 PM

I wanna make a very, very cheap gaming PC that is pretty good. I can get it cheap because I can get some parts from someone.

here's a list of Components
Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-M Evo
G. Card: Radeon HD 5850
Processor: AMD Phenom II x2 555 3.2GHz / AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz

What I want to know is if the parts are compatible and if the pretty large 5850 would fit on the mobo, if not, please give good cheap alternatives if you can :)  Also i'm not sure how good a processor i need, someone tells me "YOU DON'T NEED A REALLY GOOD PROCESSOR!" but i think they're wrong because there's bottlenecking which wastes g. card potential (like the 5850). I think it's the clock speed that affects bottlenecking but i'm not sure, what I want is to play new games mostly, so do i NEED a quad, or will the inferior x2 555 really be fine?

Thanks.

More about : parts

a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 6:31:33 PM

The 5850 will fit in the ASUS AM3 EVO no problem, however, your case and PSU will be the limitation here. The 5850 is a big card.

The Phenom II X2 555 is fine for most game that are not CPU bound, but for games like GTAIV, FSX, you want a Quad. You will need a Quad down the road any ways, so may as well get one now (unless budget is a problem, in which case you could look at a Athlon II X4 or get the Phenom II X2/X3).

List PSU and case before we can tell you if every thing will work fine.
July 20, 2010 6:41:15 PM

Well I don't actually know what PCU or case yet, I'll need a full tower so I might have to buy it, if the person has a PCU of 600W 650W or something I can use that..
!