Closed

New processor!

Hi, just a quick question. Is the Phenom II x4 965 compatible with the motherboard from a Dell inspiron 531? Cheers :)
14 answers Last reply
More about processor
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums
    Unfortunately the answer is no,your motherboard doesn't support either AM2+ or AM3 processors.
  2. Hey NathanC, welcome to THW.

[EDITED TO CORRECT ERRORS]

Please forgive me for providing poor and inaccurate advice. Malmental has taken great care in his suggestions and I would trust in his advice.
  3. Thank you Malmental for correcting me, I truly and honestly mean that. I would never want to steer anyone in the wrong direction. Seems I have fallen victim to my own poor research and lack of knowlege. :( Please forgive me NathanC, I did not mean to give you bad advice, and Malmental, you must have a wealth of knowlege floating around in your noggin, nice work. :)
  4. Maziar said:
    Hello and welcome to the forums
    Unfortunately the answer is no,your motherboard doesn't support either AM2+ or AM3 processors.

5. Quote:
    so if you want more than that (higher dual core) I stated above than yes, you will need a new motherboard and processor.
    let me know if you want to keep that case and i can recommend a motherboard for you that fits your request.

Cheers malmental :) and yes could you please recomend a motherboard :)
  6. Quote:
    OK, now where do you want to go, Intel or stay AMD.?
    It's apparent that you want to run a quad core cpu, is a triple core out of the question if AMD and then possibly unlock it to a quad with the right motherboard or straight quad or possibly a six-core.?
    something to think about.
    and are you going keep your Dell case correct.?

Think il stay AMD. Already bought the processor so just need a motherboard that will run it. Ye il keep the case.
  7. Quote:
    you bough the Phenom II x4 965 already.?
    cool if you did.

ye
  8. nathanc said:
    Think il stay AMD. Already bought the processor so just need a motherboard that will run it. Ye il keep the case.

Make sure you budget for a Dremel Tool ;)

9. Quote:
    not really, it will work but i do not like some things about the board.
    hold on, i'm on a toke break... :whistle:

I need to know some things: ddr3 or ddr2 RAM and up to what amount, possible dual video cards or staying with one.?
    keeping the Dell power supply or trying to keep it anyways.?
    sorry but I can be kinda thorough.

ddr2 as long as its more than 4GB. More than 1 would be good. Ye but il get a new one if i need to.
  10. Quote:
    what video card, ATi or nVidia.?

nVidia
  11. Quote:
    ^
    my two nVidia choices..
    don't forget about the Dell options if your interested.

Cheers for all your help :)
  12. Best answer selected by NathanC.
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dell Inspiron Compatibility Processors Motherboards Phenom Product