Intel 330 or Samsung 830

shadowku

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I just bought a 240gb Intel 330 for $150 for my laptop. I'm wondering if I should keep it though because I'm very skeptical of Sandforce drives as I have seen many fail and my very first Vertex 2 failed.

I can buy a Samsung 830 256gb for $210, but I'm not sure if the extra cost is really worth it. The SSD is for my Thinkpad T410 so I wouldn't benefit from SATA3 speeds anyway. I just want reliability.

Should I just keep my Intel 330?

freakyguy88

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
I have a Samsung 830 drive and I'm getting a 250GB 840 drive soon. Samsung is really just the best for me in the current SSD market. Amazing performance and reliability. Get it and you won't regret it!

kkmisterkk

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
In all honesty, I don't have a lot of experience in choosing/using SSD's, But the two that I've used (a samsung 830 and an intel 330, ironically) both performed excellently well, and when either/or were being used in my sataII desktop, they both performed exceedingly faster than any drive I'd been used to, as I'd only previously been able to get a hold of things like raptor drives still spinning like super fast like a drunk at a marry-go-round.

That being said, In this case, it really does sound like it comes down to price and maybe sata controller preference. I've since ditched the 830, cause it was a smaller capacity than my 330 (128 vs 180), and I've been using this intel 330 for a good 4 hours a day for the past 4 months with no issues at all.

I'm always the first one loaded up in Black Ops 2, waiting for others to spawn in lol. Not sure if that's really relevant, but I thought I'd share. lol.

Anyway, obviously, speed isn't your number one concern, nor is performance, but reliability. I didn't use the Samsung for an extended period of time, so I can't really speak on that, however I certianly can say that My Intel 330 has been going strong and still passing the Intel SSD Check tool (forgot what it's called, but it's installed on my desktop for my ease of access) every time I test it once a week.

Hope my insight has helped a bit. Old thread, but hey. Never know.