Samsung 128GB SSD vs Intel 120 GB SSD

notorioussc2

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hi guys.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I was just wondering what the difference between the Samsung 128GB SSD and the Intel 120 GB SSD is. I can save over $50 by chosing the samsung, yet it has 8 more GB of storage which makes me wonder how it is so cheap?

Is there a great difference in peformance or is about even?

Thanks in advance! :D

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
The performance, to the average user, is very minimal and honestly the average Joe consumer won't see the performance difference. Both SSD's are reliable and have great performance and customer support.

Intel is best know for their reliability, but really expensive while Samsung is known for consistent speed and albeit kinda cheap, especially when on a sale.

I'd go for a Samsung 830 256GB personally, the 840 is nice and improves some aspects, but it isn't worth the extra dough. If you are looking for reliability before anything else, go for the Intel!

As long as I have been shopping for and using SSDs the Intel SSD has always been the more expensive and very rarely lowers thier price , has a sale or rebate , it's not to say they don't ever it's just that it's rarely. Samsungs are in my opion just as releable and good but will have sales and rebates.
I don't think you can go wrong with either one and I have had both, you also won't notice any difference in performance so going for the cheapest price in this case is a good idea. I guess the bottom line on Intel is that they dont feel like they have to compete with anybody and if you want one of thier products then you have to pay for it. In the processor choices you do want to pay for the Intel cpu because it is that much better , but with SSDs there is more competition and you can get aSSD that is just as good for less. A little while back I was debating between the Intel and Samsung SSD and went with the Samsung because of the price and I'm not sorry at all in fact I bought a second one also.
If you can aford it then the 256 gb is the best size to get for the OS drive.

Actually, each drive has the same number of nand chips.
Intel reserves more for various purposes. When installed, you will see about 110gb from either of them.

You can't tell the difference in performance without a benchmark.

Performance will suffer when a ssd approaches full.
The best one to buy for performance is the next size up.

Another difference if you will be intalling in a ultrathin laptop.
Samsung is 7mm thick and intel may be 9.5mm Some can have a piece removed to fit 7.

Not an issue for desktop users

notorioussc2

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Ok, I see that they are about equal which is great news, thanks guys :)

And I think I will stick with onyl the 128 gb since I don't think I will be using it for a ton of things, only a few programs that I use alot.

Thanks for the help!