Inhibit battery chargning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi All,
I have a Dell laptop which I am powering from an external battery
source. I need to be able to reduce the amount of demanded current the
laptop needs. I reckon that the best way to do this is to stop the laptop
from automatically charging its own battery when external power is applied.
How do I do this?. I can find some power management functions in the
software but these won't let me turn battery charging off.

Any ideas?.

Dave

Charlie

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:48:55 -0000, "Dave Moore"
<dave_m_moore@post2me.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi All,
> I have a Dell laptop which I am powering from an external battery
>source. I need to be able to reduce the amount of demanded current the
>laptop needs. I reckon that the best way to do this is to stop the laptop
>from automatically charging its own battery when external power is applied.
>How do I do this?. I can find some power management functions in the
>software but these won't let me turn battery charging off.
>
>Any ideas?.
>
>Dave

Why not just remove the internal battery?

---
Charlie Hoffpauir

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I don't think there is a way to do it through software. Why not just remove
the battery?
"Dave Moore" <dave_m_moore@post2me.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I have a Dell laptop which I am powering from an external battery
> source. I need to be able to reduce the amount of demanded current the
> laptop needs. I reckon that the best way to do this is to stop the laptop
> from automatically charging its own battery when external power is
> applied.
> How do I do this?. I can find some power management functions in the
> software but these won't let me turn battery charging off.
>
> Any ideas?.
>
> Dave

> I don't think there is a way to do it through software. Why not just
remove
> the battery?

I could do, but presumably, if there was a temporary disruption in the power
supply then the computer would have no backup power and would therefore stop
(perhaps losing data). What I want to do is to use what power there is in
the battery as a backup supply if the external supply fails.

Dave

Charlie

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:55:38 -0000, "Dave Moore"
<dave_m_moore@post2me.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>> I don't think there is a way to do it through software. Why not just
>remove
>> the battery?
>
>I could do, but presumably, if there was a temporary disruption in the power
>supply then the computer would have no backup power and would therefore stop
>(perhaps losing data). What I want to do is to use what power there is in
>the battery as a backup supply if the external supply fails.
>
>Dave

Dave,

In that case, if you leave the battery fully charged, then there won't
be any amps diverted to charging the battery (when you're on the
external supply), as the charging circuit should cut off. Then when
you lose the external supply, the computer will run on the internal
battery. In my experience with an old Thinkpad that I used with an
external power pack, when the external pack got weak, the computer
just used power from the internal battery. As long as the external
back had enough voltage, the internal battery wasn't used. (in my
case, the external power pack was a set of gell-cells.) The only
problem I had was that there was no way for me to tell whether the
external pack was nearly dead or not.
---
Charlie Hoffpauir

"Dave Moore" <dave_m_moore@post2me.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>What I want to do is to use what power there is in
>the battery as a backup supply if the external supply fails.

Have you tried to measure the power consumption of the laptop when the
battery is fully charged but turned off? it may be low enough that
you don't care...

Remove the battery afer the laptop is connected to the external supply.
In general, you can remove/change batteries with the laptop turned on
and running (from an external power source, of course).