$1000 Gaming Build [Canada]

I haven't been keeping an eye on the PC market in the past few years, so I don't have the best knowledge of the good buys these days... That said, I've been reading up on here for the past few days and I've learned a bit and maybe I can apply it.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as possible; by Friday, August 27

BUDGET RANGE: $1000 CAD (max $1200 with tax), lower is better and I have no urge to spend as much cash as I can.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, CAD, Word Processing, Internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers (although I would love recommendations, I don't want to include it in the budget), OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
newegg.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: No firm preferences, although I'm wary of ATI after dealing with their drivers for years... Probably grabbing a GTX460 1GB, unless persuaded otherwise (I've had good experiences with EVGA's cards, so I'm looking at theirs). I was checking out i7, but apparently they're going to be losing relevance (for lack of a better word) within the next half-year (or that was the idea I got, correct me if I'm wrong). That said, I have no preference between Intel and AMD.

OVERCLOCKING: There's a chance, but not for sure.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I'd like to have the option for the future, so yes. However, I think I recall reading that AMD doesn't support SLI/Crossfire well? If the AMD is the absolute best processor for me (given the previously noted i7 situation), I don't mind missing out on SLI/Crossfire.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Can't say...Haven't chosen a monitor.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Most importantly, I'd like a case that isn't flashy. I don't want LEDs, windows, etc., just a very well-functioning case. Other than that, it would be nice for it to be quiet.


I apologize that I find myself unable to provide you guys an extensive list of parts, but I suppose I did suggest a couple and so I can link to those and a build that I thought looked pretty good, just for reference:

The available EVGA GTX 460 1GB GPUs; I'm not sure which would be best for me: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001402%20600007779&IsNodeId=1&Description=gtx%20460&name=1GB

The build I liked: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292517-31-gaming-build

Thanks in advance and sorry for not being too helpful!
18 answers Last reply
More about 1000 gaming build canada
  1. Why newegg.ca? They generally don't have the best prices. NCIX is good.

    Do you need to include the monitor in the budget? You would be better off with Intel in this build but not if you need a monitor at a total of $1000.
  2. second ncix and try and pick off parts from their weekly deals.
  3. Proximon said:
    Why newegg.ca? They generally don't have the best prices. NCIX is good.

    Do you need to include the monitor in the budget? You would be better off with Intel in this build but not if you need a monitor at a total of $1000.


    I wasn't aware of NCIX, so thanks for the heads up!

    I'd like to keep the monitor within the budget, but I suppose I could do it separately if it's worth the extra performance.
  4. NCIX's prices for some things is way higher than newegg... But they will pricematch.

    Directcanada is a part of ncix too.
  5. Quote:
    I wasn't aware of NCIX, so thanks for the heads up!

    I'd like to keep the monitor within the budget, but I suppose I could do it separately if it's worth the extra performance.



    That would depend on the type of CAD work you are doing and how important it is, but since you put gaming first I guess you answered that ;)

    AMD it is.


    X4 955 -162
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=47459&vpn=HDZ955FBGMBOX&manufacture=AMD

    Asus 870 MB -120
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=52676&vpn=M4A87TD%20EVO&manufacture=ASUS

    4GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 CL7 -99
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42744&vpn=F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH&manufacture=G.Skill&promoid=1088

    Lian Li PC-7FNB -120
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=46689&vpn=PC-7FNB&manufacture=LIAN-LI
    Obviously a lot of case. Very classy and very high quality, but not flashy. If we need to trim it down we certainly can.

    Seasonic S12II 520W -75
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=52173&vpn=S12II%20520&manufacture=Seasonic%20Electronics

    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 Fermi 715MHZ 1GB -254
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=54506&vpn=GV-N460OC-1GI&manufacture=Gigabyte

    Seagate 1TB drive -80
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37232&vpn=ST31000528AS&manufacture=Seagate

    Optical drive -30
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=47343&vpn=GH24LS50&manufacture=LG%20Electronics

    Win 7 -124
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=45271

    BENQ 24" 2ms monitor -210
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45037&vpn=E2420HD&manufacture=BenQ&promoid=1088

    That puts you right around 1300. We could whittle it down a bit, and in fact it might come to less at checkout or if you do some price matching.
  6. Proximon said:
    That would depend on the type of CAD work you are doing and how important it is, but since you put gaming first I guess you answered that ;)

    AMD it is.


    X4 955 -162
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=47459&vpn=HDZ955FBGMBOX&manufacture=AMD

    Asus 870 MB -120
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=52676&vpn=M4A87TD%20EVO&manufacture=ASUS

    4GB G.Skill DDR3 1333 CL7 -99
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42744&vpn=F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH&manufacture=G.Skill&promoid=1088

    Lian Li PC-7FNB -120
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=46689&vpn=PC-7FNB&manufacture=LIAN-LI
    Obviously a lot of case. Very classy and very high quality, but not flashy. If we need to trim it down we certainly can.

    Seasonic S12II 520W -75
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=52173&vpn=S12II%20520&manufacture=Seasonic%20Electronics

    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 Fermi 715MHZ 1GB -254
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=54506&vpn=GV-N460OC-1GI&manufacture=Gigabyte

    Seagate 1TB drive -80
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37232&vpn=ST31000528AS&manufacture=Seagate

    Optical drive -30
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=47343&vpn=GH24LS50&manufacture=LG%20Electronics

    Win 7 -124
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=45271

    BENQ 24" 2ms monitor -210
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45037&vpn=E2420HD&manufacture=BenQ&promoid=1088

    That puts you right around 1300. We could whittle it down a bit, and in fact it might come to less at checkout or if you do some price matching.


    Yeah, CAD is definitely secondary to gaming.

    The PSU and mobo look good.

    Would it be worth it to stretch to 6GB or 8GB RAM? 1GB taken up by W7 leaves only 3GB, which worries me a bit...

    I know the Lian Li stuff is nice quality and that's exactly the kind of look I'm trying to get, but like you said, it is a bit pricey and I'm also a bit concerned about the ventilation.

    The power supply looks good, although possibly not enough power for SLI/Crossfire?

    I see the Gigabyte is $30 cheaper than the EVGA...other than price is there any distinct advantage of one over the other?

    I've heard Seagates have a tendency to fail, is that true and would I be safer going with WD?

    For the monitor, I'm hoping for an LED backlight, so would the LG from the other build be good? ( http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005155 ). Also there are two highly rated Asus LED LCDs, but how reliable is Asus? Those two are here:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236075

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236083
  7. RAM prices are dropping, so add the other 4GB later if you need it ;)

    You can't SLI on an AMD chipset, and the 870 board won't let you crossfire.

    here is a nice case that just needs some more fans to be good
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=53537&vpn=DEFINE-R3-BLACK&manufacture=Fractal%20Design

    Fans
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=33852&vpn=D12SL-12-RED%2FBLACK&manufacture=Yate%20Loon
    YLs tend to have a nicer noise frequency. This is red, but not LED. Good price
    The Gigabyte GPU has a nice cooling system and might OC better. It's had good reviews and I've been using it a lot in recommendations lately.
  8. How does this combo look? It ends up cheaper than what you had previously and looks like a great deal to me. There are LEDs and a window, but if it's a good deal like I think it is, I can deal with it or replace the fans with the YLs that you posted.

    Combo (CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, Case) - 546
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.473045

    Add to that:

    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - 240
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125333


    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - 80
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    OR

    WD Caviar Black 1TB - 95
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

    Optical drive - 24
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=27-106-334


    LG 21.5" LED LCD 5ms - 190
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005155

    OR

    Asus 23" LED LCD 2ms - 210
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236075

    OR

    Asus 21.5" LED LCD 2ms - 210
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236083


    Win 7 - 100
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754


    So that ends up around $1200.


    Or there's this combo that I could build around that also ends up cheaper than the previous build:

    Combo (RAM, GPU, mobo) - 425
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.481540

    Then adding to that one...

    X4 955 - 162
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

    OR

    X4 965 - 175
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727


    Lian Li PC-7FNB - 120
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=46689&vpn=PC-7FNB&manufacture=LIAN-LI

    (or whichever other case)


    Seasonic 520W - 64
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - 80
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    OR

    WD Caviar Black 1TB - 95
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284


    Optical drive - 24
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=27-106-334


    LG 21.5" LED LCD 5ms - 190
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005155

    OR

    Asus 23" LED LCD 2ms - 210
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236075

    OR

    Asus 21.5" LED LCD 2ms - 210
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236083


    Win 7 - 100
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

    And that one also ends up ~$1200.
  9. Something is going on with newegg.ca links and me. I don't quite understand what it is... I end up at the front page but with a loong URL string that was not present in your link. Every once in a while I get through though. Can't be good. I can copy the URL and paste it to the browser though.
    Doesn't look like a hijacking... maybe some thing with one of my security plugins.

    Here's my take on the Thuban vs. the Deneb.
    The X4 955 is unlocked and quite easy to OC. The Thuban is not.
    Gaming performance is going to be identical or nearly so.
    The Thuban might be a better CAD CPU at stock speeds.

    I think your second build is good, as long as you realize a the board will not have USB 3 or SATA 6GB/S.

    If you favor WD I say go for it. NOT as fast as the drive I listed but I won't personally use anything but WD.

    I linked the BENQ for very specific reasons. They have good response times and low input lag. and are recommended in the Anandtech LCD thread:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226
    But it has not been updated in a long time I think.

    I personally use an LG. Are these guys near you? This is a great deal on a good monitor
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_699_292&item_id=021406
  10. Proximon said:
    Something is going on with newegg.ca links and me. I don't quite understand what it is... I end up at the front page but with a loong URL string that was not present in your link. Every once in a while I get through though. Can't be good. I can copy the URL and paste it to the browser though.
    Doesn't look like a hijacking... maybe some thing with one of my security plugins.

    Here's my take on the Thuban vs. the Deneb.
    The X4 955 is unlocked and quite easy to OC. The Thuban is not.
    Gaming performance is going to be identical or nearly so.
    The Thuban might be a better CAD CPU at stock speeds.

    I think your second build is good, as long as you realize a the board will not have USB 3 or SATA 6GB/S.

    If you favor WD I say go for it. NOT as fast as the drive I listed but I won't personally use anything but WD.

    I linked the BENQ for very specific reasons. They have good response times and low input lag. and are recommended in the Anandtech LCD thread:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226
    But it has not been updated in a long time I think.

    I personally use an LG. Are these guys near you? This is a great deal on a good monitor
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_699_292&item_id=021406


    Alright, after reading up some more, it looks like you're right and I'm better off with the X4 than the X6...that then raises the question of 955 vs 965...any opinion on that? $15 difference makes it tougher...

    I'll see if I can find any other good combos with mobos that support USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s, because it's only a matter of time before those are common...

    I'll probably get the WD and I always see the Caviar Black recommended; should I try to stick with that over Green and Blue?

    Canada Computers is near, I could easily get there. I'm just hoping for an LED LCD; the Acers were LED LCD and has 2ms response time...any good?

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236075

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236083

    And why would two differently sized monitors of apparently the same model be priced the same?
  11. Ok the newegg.ca thing is starting to creep me out.

    If you can pick up a monitor at the store, it's always better than ordering online :)

    I think either of those monitors will be fine, I just don't know enough about the newer ones yet. I can't say why the prices are the same, except perhaps the larger is more popular.
  12. Installed noscript, problem gone ;)
  13. I think I've come up with what I feel like is a fairly final build... There are just a couple things I need to decide between. I found as much of the parts as I could locally or semi-locally to cut down on shipping costs.

    CPU:
    X4 955 - 158
    http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=CPU-AMD-HDZ955FBGMBOX
    OR
    X4 965 - 181
    http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=CPU-AMD-HDZ965FBGMBOX

    Mobo:
    Asus M4A88TD-V - 130
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_340&item_id=031170

    RAM:
    G.Skill DDR3 1600 4GB - 100
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_612&item_id=026157

    GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - 240
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=032910

    HDD:
    WD Caviar Black 1TB - 95
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_210_212&item_id=029337

    Case:
    Antec Three Hundred - 58
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_112&item_id=018460
    OR
    Lian Li PC-7FNB - 140
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_112&item_id=031853

    [is there any distinct advantage of the Lian Li other than the build quality?]

    PSU:
    Corsair 650TX - 100
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_441&item_id=015708

    Optical drive:
    Lite-On - 24
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=27-106-334



    Monitor:
    Asus 23" 2ms 50000:1 LED LCD - 210
    http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=LCD-AS-MS236H
    OR
    Asus 23" 2ms 100000:1 LED LCD - 230
    http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=LCD-AS-MS238H

    Comes out ~$1100-1200.

    How does it look?
  14. On the cases, brushed aluminum vs. plastic, the Lian Li will have a bit more room and is probably lighter. It's something you have to see to understand, really. If you want to cut cost the Antec will work.

    I cannot recommend the Corsair 650TX. Corsair just changed the OEM. It was a great Seasonic unit, now it's made by CWT... and there are no reviews. CWT makes several good PSUs, and Corsair cares about quality, but I'm not giving that one a pass just yet.

    Everything else looks great. Get the 955 and a good cooler
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_129&item_id=025125
  15. Alright, that cooler looks great from the reviews, it's being added.

    The Corsair will be swapped out for the 520W Seasonic that you suggested before (so I'm assuming 520W will be plenty?).
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094
  16. Yep that's fine for pretty much any single GPU setup.
  17. CPU-AMD Phenom II X4 955 -$147.91
    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10360AC6599&vpn=HDZ955FBGMBOX&manufacture=AMD

    AMD Phenom II X4 965-$170.51
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/223078/AMD/HDZ965FBGMBOX/

    MOBO-ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO-$124.99
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131646&nm_mc=OTC-sho6b0tCA&cm_mmc=OTC-sho6b0tCA-_-Motherboards+-+AMD-_-ASUS-_-13131646

    RAM-Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C7-$119.99 plus $20 mir
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145285

    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB CL7-$98.99 Plus $10 mir
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226103

    GPU- Same

    HDD-Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S-$87.99
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50895&promoid=1088

    Case-Antec Three Hundred -$49.79
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/155716/ANTEC/THREE_HUNDRED/
    Lian Li PC-7FNB-$119
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=46689

    PSU-Same

    Monitor-Asus VH236H, 23" Widescreen Full 1080p LCD Monitor, 1920X1080, 5ms, 20000 :1(DCR) w/2x2W Stereo Speakers, VGA, DVI, and HDMI-$ 169.99 after mir
    http://www1.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=028529

    Asus MS238H-$ 209.99
    http://www1.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=027209

    some of those components will save you $30 good enough to pricematch and go towards shipping from NCIX especially if some ship out of Markham which will make shipping cheaper.
    I hear what your saying if you have a local Canada Computers my last two builds were a combo of items from CC and NCIX.
    If you live in the north GTA you can pick stuff up you ordered from NCIX walk-in at the Markham location no shipping charges.
  18. That Mushkin RAM looks awesome...
    http://pccyber.com/?v=Product&i=RAM-MK-996782

    100 there, so I'll just pick it up locally. Rather than +10 shipping -10 MIR to end up the same price.

    And sadly, I'm not in the GTA, I'm in Ottawa... We head down there a few times per year, but I don't see any trips in the very near future. It's too bad, that would have been a great opportunity.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems