Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Starting A Render Farm

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2010 7:49:14 PM

I recently came across a significant amount of pc's all core 2 duo's. My initial thought was to put these computers to work in some way rather than just selling them off the bat. After talking to one of my firends who is an animator I thought it might be a good idea to set up a render farm and allow animators to use it for a price. My only concerns are 1: will my renderfarm be able to compete with the online rendering companies that charge so little for ghz/hr 2: how much do I need to know about animation 3: will people want to use my render farm and if so how much would i need to charge and how big of a render farm would I need in order to be an attractive alternative for freelance animators?...... Please let me know if this is a good idea and if not, how else would i be able to put these computers to work?

More about : starting render farm

a c 164 U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 8:47:07 PM

All I can say is you have quite a bit of research to do. What you need is a document about 100 pages long with a business model, not a post on a forum.
Score
July 21, 2010 1:15:08 PM

I doubt people write business plans before they decide on whether the business is a good idea .... one step at a time buddy
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2010 1:47:15 PM

ortega10 said:
I doubt people write business plans before they decide on whether the business is a good idea .... one step at a time buddy

Actually a business plan is a good basis for beginning. It will help you to determine if you have enough knowledge and competence to make the businesss profitable. It will help you to answer many of your questions. Also, renderfarms requrie a substantial amount of knowledge and tend to be provided by business running other ventures along side the farm. Do a bit of research and determine if you feel that the venture is viable.
July 21, 2010 2:24:49 PM

Of course a business plan is a good idea... but first i need to do research like you both mentioned.... I have been doing a lot of research reading articles and looking at what other render sites have to offer... now as part of my research process, I would like to here the opinions of people who use render farms so I can see if it would be feaseable to start out with less than 50 dual core nodes running at 2.4 ghz each and 4gb of ram. Would there be a market for this kind of service.
Score
July 28, 2010 4:49:13 PM

Best answer selected by ortega10.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 5:22:55 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!