Upgrading to new OCZ SSD...How do I keep Win 7 running smooth??

mjakachira

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Ok so I have ordered a new SSD for my PC I'm upgrading from a 120GB Vertex 2 to a 128GB Vector. Whats the best way to migrate the contents of that entire drive over to the new drive? Create an image of the vertex 2 and just reimage the new SSD? I am using Windows 7 Ultimate here is the rest of my setup.

CPU: I7 930 OC'd 3.8
GPU: 660 TI Direct CuII
Ram: 6GB Corsair Dominator
Case: Haf X
HDD: 2 x 1TB Western digital caviar blacks
MBD: Rampage 3 Extreme

It's your money but why would you upgrade from a 120 gb SSD to a 128 gb SSD , that's not much of an upgrade. I'm sure going from sata2 to sata3 might give some boost in performance but it's alraedy a SSD.
I would put what you want to save on the WD drive and do a fresh install on the new SSD you can't have too much on the old SSD with a large storage drive as a secondary drive.

I have use ToDo Backup to clone drive to drive more then once. It works good(Its not quite True Image good, but still FREE). I tend to do the clone from a different system.

Only problem I have run into is sometimes the drive is not aligned, but that may have been me(may have messed up). I just used Gparted to align, but it requires a Windows startup repair or BCD edit to get it going again.

As for keeping it running smooth. Windows 7 should take care of most things for you.