Radeon 5750 bottlenecked AMD X2 4000+

dantcm

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Is a Radeon 5750 graphics card going to be bottlenecked by a AMD X2 4000+ processor without overclocking? If so, than what should be the proper speed for the CPU?

dantcm

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks...i know about those reviews..one actually showed that the CPU could reach 2.8 ghz without changing the COOLER...and with a better one it has reached above 3 ghz (3.2 - 3.4)...

Than i' ll put the problem somehow different...is there a chart or guide on how to match the CPU with the GRAPHICS CARDS ?....in order to achieve 100% performance from both without having to invest much...i know for a fact that you don't need to invest that much to achive the 100% mark...in my case these two to are my primary concern, because the PSU is OK, the mobo also and so on....

The only problem is that some guys that write on forums don't now what they are talking about and offer advice based solely on their personal experience, and not from a professional point of view... :fou:

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hello Dantcm,

I'm not aware of any such charts, and I could possibly see why. It would be fairly hard to graph out just exactly how much a video card can stress out a CPU and other components because it also may depend on how the application utilizes such resources. For example, one video game with ridiculous visuals may be written better, or have better drivers, so it processes better than another combination on possibly another application.

I could speculate that you would probably end up bottlenecked by something not named 5750 in your system ; ) (Depending on what you're using your system for, at what settings, etc), but I wouldn't know which part. Could be your processor, could be RAM, etc.

Yes it will.
I had a 4600X2 running at 3.0ghz, and a 8800GTS 512.
I upgraded to a Phemon II X4 running at 3.0ghz, and my 3Dmark 06 score went up 30%. 30 full percent, and yes, you could tell the difference.

And yes, I am speaking from personal experience here. That is what a forum is for, to benefit from other peoples experience's.
Whether you choose to use it or not is entirely up to you.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
As the veteran jitpublisher said, upgrade your CPU to phenom quad core or, the latest one, hexa core. For your consideration, extra core is better than higher clock speed. But then again, this might mean you also have to upgrade your motherboard which supports these CPUs

Extra cores are actually specifically not better for gaming than clock speed in most cases. Most games still only use 2 cores. For example if they are the same architecture a 3ghz dual core will usually do much better than a 2.5ghz quad.
He really doesn't need a Phenom II x4(although it would be nice.) Even something as cheap as an Athlon II x2($60) would be a huge upgrade over what he has now. It would overclock to 3.5ghz easily and at that point it is just fine for pretty much all current games.

dantcm

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Oh yes it can handle all of them...i made this upgrade to make sure i can put in just about every CPU...ASUS M4A78 PRO...i thought i might get away for now only with a video card, but i don't think so anymore...i know the mobo does the job but for now from a financial perspective it would have been wery well even with a graphics card...

dantcm

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
1680x1050 monitor res...100 euros...in mainland europe...that's the problem...not enoght cash at the moment... i'll wait and then buy

Yeah, you guys always get screwed on the prices. You can get the card for now if you want. Your processor isn't good but it will still do alright in a lot of games. Just hold of on the more CPU intensive games until you can afford an upgrade.