Sign in with
Your question

Games not allowing my monitor's full resolution!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2010 9:01:42 PM

Hey guys, I have an asus 23" monitor that is supposedly capable of 1920x1080 but my games are only allowing me to set the resolution to 1680x1050. (crysis/crysis WH/etc... the games are obviously capable of 1920x1080)

I have a DVI-HDMI cable attached from my GTX 480 to the monitor (DVI at graphics card, HDMI at monitor)

Do i need to get a miniHDMI-HDMI cable to run at full res?

Did I screw something up in nvidia control panel?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 20, 2010 9:38:57 PM

It might be something in game actually.

For example, in Counter Strike Source (Old game, I know, but purely as an example here), you would have to tell the application what aspect ratio to use when selecting your resolution size. Therefore, under standard resolution, it wouldn't have the 1680x1050 available because it's a widescreen resolution (you had to select one of the widescreen options first before the widescreen resolutions became available).

Because I'm at work, I can't simply launch crysis and double check, but this *could* be the problem.

If not, then that's just weird.
m
l
July 20, 2010 9:59:54 PM

At the desktop you have 1920x1080?

Try setting setting the res manual. For Crysis and Crysis WH make a shortcut to the executables and add ' +r_width 1920 +r_height 1080' (without the accents of course)
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 20, 2010 10:03:04 PM

You could do that, but that's strange that you couldn't just select it from in game. I know it's a resolution supported.

Also, what exactly is your Asus monitor model number?
m
l
July 20, 2010 10:05:28 PM

Strange it has no DVI. Is it a tv-monitor?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 20, 2010 10:34:16 PM

asus 23" monitor

I doubt he has a 23" TV. But now that you mentioned it, I wonder why it's not DVI end to end?

Maybe the monitor is far away from the desktop and HDMI signals carry better?
m
l
a c 540 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 20, 2010 11:12:40 PM

The digital video signal is the same for both DVI and HDMI hence there is no conversion of the video signal required.

HDMI 1.2 and later adds support for eight channels of digital audio. DVI and HDMI 1.0 and 1.1 support video only.

Did the ASUS monitor come with a .INF file? If it did you should manually install it.
m
l
July 21, 2010 11:55:43 AM

ko888 said:
The digital video signal is the same for both DVI and HDMI hence there is no conversion of the video signal required.

HDMI 1.2 and later adds support for eight channels of digital audio. DVI and HDMI 1.0 and 1.1 support video only.

Did the ASUS monitor come with a .INF file? If it did you should manually install it.

Indeed, there's no advanced conversion needed. Just a cable with at one end a dvi and at the other hdmi.
What we need to know is whether he gets 1920x1080 at his desktop or not. If he does, then something very strange is happening here. If he doesn't, then I think it must have something to do with the graphic card drivers. Installing the newest one might fix it then.
m
l
!