Status
Not open for further replies.

vindictive

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I am planning on getting an Antec Cp850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024&cm_re=cpx-_-17-371-024-_-Product that is listed as having a 4 pin atx and an 8 pin esp12v connector, the mobo I want to get is an ASUS p7p55d-E Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-621&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo that according to Overclockers.com uses an 8 pin atx12v connector.
Now my question is, can I plug the 8 pin esp12v into the 8pin atx12v connector?
According to Wiki on Esp12v it should be backwards compatible with atx12v. But I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to waste $180 on a mobo that wouldn't work with the PSU, or worse fry the mobo.

thanks for advance.

Solution
The 8 pin connector is an EPS connector, the 4 pin connector is ATX, it just gets confused in specs some time but it will work just fine, it just provides the option of a bit more power for the CPU.

vindictive

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
thank you!
I was worried for a little bit there.

2 more questions while I've already made a thread. (more noob questions I know. I suck at power supplies and am planning my first build.)

1. What connectors on the PSU can the case fans get power from? Because I'm getting the DF-85 which has allot of fans but my mobo doesn't have enough fan connectors for them all.

2. Is a single rail PSU better than a multi rail? I mean this one has 4 rails but also got a 9.5 on jonnyguru. 10 on performance.

Usually from either a molex connector(often referred to as a 4 pin peripheral connector) or from a connector on the motherboard, if its got a big 4 pin connector it goes right to the PSU. Looking at the pictures on newegg, they are antecs usual daisy-chain-able molex connectors so simplify things, i doubt any of your case fans will connect to your motherboard.

Single or multi rail makes no difference, a well laid out multi rail wont run into any balancing issues and in the same way a single large rail is usually given plenty of protections so its just as safe, there is no advantage either way.

vindictive

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Thank you very much. I have been wondering about the case fan and even googled "whats a peripheral connection on a psu?" but I didn't realise what it was used for.

Status
Not open for further replies.