Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is Sandy Bridge going to be on 1366 socket?

  • Power Supplies
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Dual Channel
  • Socket
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
November 12, 2010 2:24:11 AM

Hey everyone I have a few questions about sandy bridge, i guess I'm having trouble understanding some things. My first question is are they releasing it on 1155 boards and not 1366? If on 1155 is it going to be only dual channel ram? My last qestion is why would a gamer want sandy bridge if they buy dedicated gpus? Thankyou

More about : sandy bridge 1366 socket

a c 297 ) Power supply
November 12, 2010 2:39:20 AM

This up coming group of Sandy Bridge will all be on LGA 1155, the higher end grouping will be on LGA 2011.

99% of the computer market is not gamers, they dont cater to what gamers want, they cater to office PCs for business and home users(most of which use integrated graphics), they are a much larger chunk of the PC market than gamers.
a b ) Power supply
November 12, 2010 7:32:01 AM

I don't think too many people realise this, but Intel actually have the biggest market share for graphics, something like 60%, thanks to their (crappy) integrated graphics. AMD and Nvidia are split just about evenly for the other 40%. Sandy Bridge will probably see that trend continue, although I'm hoping AMD's new Bulldozer/Bobcat combo will gain a bit of traction in the market. With their "Fusion" strategy of putting CPU and GPU on a single die, they are definitely taking aim at Intel's integrated graphics market segment.
Related resources
November 12, 2010 2:19:30 PM

I'd like to see AMD offer desktop CPUs with quad-channel memory controllers
using 4 x DIMM slots.

That would definitely give AMD a competitive edge vis-a-vis Intel,
particularly as RAM density evolves upwards e.g. 8GB and 16GB per stick
and as the installed base gradually migrates to 64-bit software.

The predictions I have seen use a 4/3 scaling factor (naturally):
so, just apply that factor to stock triple-channel DDR3
and calculate something ~50,000 MB/second raw bandwidth.


November 19, 2010 4:28:21 AM

Unfortunately Amd isn't really going to be an option for me. They have kinda fallen behind intel in the processor race but they are being smart because they are very affordable and are good price for performance but they are behind intel and dont even offer an enthusiast tier processor any more. I miss the fx series. I hope AMD does make a big break through and get ahead again
November 30, 2010 3:15:49 AM

Yeah me too. I cant stand AMD's drivers for their video cards and I like to use cuda to convert movies for my zune.