Can I put ram in dimm 3 and 4 slots instead of 1 and 2?

italy1677

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I'm planning on getting a Thermaltake Frio and it will cover some of the slots for ram on my motherboard so can I put 2 x 4gb dimms in the dimm 3 and 4 slots instead of the 1 and 2 and have it run in dual channel? The manual only showed dimm 1 and 2 and all 4 dimms would work with dual channel.

The motherboard in question is an MSI 890GXM-G65

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I'm no expert but,...do you already have the board? It's a micro mobo. Is that what you want or need?

Do you already have the heat sink and cooler. Why did you pick this cooler rather than say a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus?

Do you already have the RAM? Some of the users here think that a lot of the heat spreaders on RAM are more for marketing, decoration or looks. Some people think they're unnecessary or not really that functional. There are ram sticks without heat spreaders that apparently work just fine. It's a debate

I think that with most mobo's you alternate the ram sticks in the slots. If you're just using 2 sticks, you either you put the sticks in slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4 . What brand and version of RAM are you using? Do they have tall heat spreaders on them? Are they really necessary?

Good luck.