MSATA vs MicroSATA

simplest2remember

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Well, I won't bore you with most of the history, except to say that I've assumed my HP Elitebook used a standard 2.5" drive (it uses 1.8), and that it uses a standard SATA connector (wrong again, microSATA exists). My third order was for a mSATA device, because I thought that _was_ microSATA, as you would if you didn't know. Of course, this would all be no problem, except for the fact I live in Vietnam, so, more than 2 months later, I have one of these:

MyDigitalSSD 128GB BP3 Bullet Proof 3 mSATA III (6G) SSD Solid State Drive - MDMS-BP3-128

which has a mSATA connector, which in no way resembles my microSATA notebook connector (which is SATA II 3GB BTW), or indeed my new microSATA cloning cable (3 more weeks).

My question is, is there a performance difference between having a proper drive, such as this one: http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/mydigitalssd-128gb-bullet-proof-1.8-inch-microsata-ssd-mdssd-bp-s18128/ or could I sensibly use an adapter such as this one: http://www.addonics.com/products/adms18sa.php and pop in my new mSATA drive and my frustrations will dissolve? A link to a test would be awesome. I notice that the microSATA drives are perhaps 40% more expensive than their mSATA counterparts, for some reason.
d:

Solution
Hi,

Yes it is doable... I did this.
Your laptop with a SSD is a fast machine, not the sluggish one you're used to.

I have an EliteBook 2530p(dual core 1.86, 4gb RAM) and have replaced the 1.8 microSATA HDD with a 256gb mSATA SSD using a microSATA to mSATA adapter.
The overall usability of the laptop was dramatically improved, 'heavy' programs load in a second..

The adapter you found seems to be exactly the same factor as the old HDD, it will make the replacement process seamless... My adapter was smaller then the original HDD so I had to be a little creative when securing it to the laptop's frame.

By the way, I too made the wrong assumption thinking mSATA=microSATA.

Good Luck,
Please update if you did the upgrade, and if the...

zeweb

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Hi,

Yes it is doable... I did this.
Your laptop with a SSD is a fast machine, not the sluggish one you're used to.

I have an EliteBook 2530p(dual core 1.86, 4gb RAM) and have replaced the 1.8 microSATA HDD with a 256gb mSATA SSD using a microSATA to mSATA adapter.
The overall usability of the laptop was dramatically improved, 'heavy' programs load in a second..

The adapter you found seems to be exactly the same factor as the old HDD, it will make the replacement process seamless... My adapter was smaller then the original HDD so I had to be a little creative when securing it to the laptop's frame.

By the way, I too made the wrong assumption thinking mSATA=microSATA.

Good Luck,
Please update if you did the upgrade, and if the adapter was an exact replacement to the HDD and was easy to attach to the laptops frame using the existing HP mount.

Solution

simplest2remember

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

Update:
Yes did this and ir works well. The drive is such a light thing I thought it would sit in the adaptor without extra support - it did this, but only for a month, after which it wouldn't boot, until it was rea-seated and a small piece of cardboard used to fill the space an prevent a re-occurrence. Also added a samsung 2.5" ssd to the 'upgrade bay' (removed dvd) on the same machine, so now I have 2x128GB drives. Tests show the samsung write speed it much faster, but compared to the original speed, I am in laptop nirvana. PM me for speed results if you want them.