Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Buy New or Change...

Last response: in Components
November 12, 2010 4:17:54 AM

Good day,

My RIG reboots itself and I have tested my HD, RAM, GPU and CPU all of it are fine, the only thing I'm worried about is my PSU.

So I opened my 3yr Old Silverstone St50F 500watts and I saw that it has capacitors bulging and it has leaked a little.

I would like to ask if should I change the capacitors myself or just buy a new 500-600watts PSU.

Current RIG:
Proc: Intel E5300 2.5GHz
GPU: 8800GT Sonic
HD: 1TB Seagate barracuda
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
MB: Asus P5Q
Cooler: Tuniq 120Xtreme

Your replies to my NOOB inquiry will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

More about : buy change

November 12, 2010 4:33:35 AM

Have you got a spare psu anywhere? or ask someone you know that has a sufficient power supply for your setup and try it and see if it reboots.

Orrrr take it to your local shop and get them to test it.

OR buy a new psu, best not to fork out the cash for one though when that might not even be the problem.
Score
November 12, 2010 5:16:34 AM

tnx for the reply... I tried using my PSU to another Mainboard i monitored the voltages and the 12V kept on changing from 12.3-12.4v but when i changed the PSU with another the 12V stayed to a reading of 12.4v... is it possible that my PSU is busted...?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 12, 2010 5:47:11 AM

If the capacitors on the PSU have leaked or busted open, then it does imply that you have a broken PSU.
Currents in such situations are bound to fluctuate, it would be well advised to buy a new PSU but keep in mind other upgrades you might get into over the next year, so if you plan on upgrading later on in the year, get a PSU that supports 800W Plus of power.....
If you are good with electronics and circuitry and a soldering iron, then after you buy a new PSU, you can always replace the burnt up , leaked capacitors with the same specs on the OLD PSU and keep it as a standby....
:) 
November 12, 2010 9:43:11 AM

Best answer selected by xoier.
Score
November 12, 2010 9:44:14 AM

alyoshka said:
If the capacitors on the PSU have leaked or busted open, then it does imply that you have a broken PSU.
Currents in such situations are bound to fluctuate, it would be well advised to buy a new PSU but keep in mind other upgrades you might get into over the next year, so if you plan on upgrading later on in the year, get a PSU that supports 800W Plus of power.....
If you are good with electronics and circuitry and a soldering iron, then after you buy a new PSU, you can always replace the burnt up , leaked capacitors with the same specs on the OLD PSU and keep it as a standby....
:) 

Tnx for the very nice reply... you really gave me an idea in making my OLD psu as backup... Tnx again...
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 12, 2010 10:03:19 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!