Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T or AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

Last response: in CPUs
November 12, 2010 7:20:04 AM

Ok so my question is, I currently have a Phenom 2 X4 955 C3 stepping cpu, its overclocked to 3.8 ghz and its stable. Cant seem to get it any higher without losing my stability even after over volting. My primary use for the computer is just web browsing and High definition gaming. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the phenom 6 core black edition over the quad core? If so why? As i know not many games or applications really fully support the 6 core over the 4 core so any opinions? Also what is the typical overclocking headroom for the 6 room as opposed to the quad core
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2010 7:58:15 AM

Well, the X6 will certainly get you saving a lot of power while browsing the net and even gaming giving you the best speeds possible for other multicore applications.
Gaming still has sometime to go to be able to utilize the 6 cores but for other stuff, it's a good upgrade.
I can give you a direct quote from another site but better still read thru it, it has a lot of really very interesting things to say....
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_phenom2_x6_...

And if you were to do a little searching here, there are a zillion threads pertaining to the X6 1090T.... :) 

If I had the extra dough for the processor, I'd be upgrading mine today, even if it was just for kicks.....
Ocing it to 4.2 seems to be pretty simple and stable without issues on air.
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=966&page=5
November 12, 2010 8:08:30 AM

What is better do you think getting the 6 core processor and spending 270 or upgrading my 5770 video card to a 6870 for 230?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2010 8:12:41 AM

Woah!!!! Upgrading your 5770 to a 6870........... :) 
Tough choice here..... I love gaming so........
November 12, 2010 8:12:57 AM

My system is posted in my information what do you think I could change/upgrade for about 150-250 to make the largest impact on my FPS in games
November 12, 2010 8:15:53 AM

Im tempted to go cpu because of the raw power, and my cooling system is like a lawnmower, its practically as good as a low budget water cooling system, without all the problems, so i have a ton of headroom. Then again if i were to go 6870 i believe i would have to buy a new PSU and if i wanted to get another 5770 id have to get a new mobo. Ah tough decisions.
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2010 8:19:42 AM

Right now, it's the GPU that you could upgrade and would make a big impact on the FPS.
Although the Diamond HD 5770 OC @ 935/1390 is cool.... better than my 5750's :) 
If you could wait a little longer for the 69XX series they'd be worth it.....
although I couldn't comment on the prices.... but...
Right now.... the 6870 seems to be the best option.....

Right on....
That's the beauty of owning an AMD system it's got a infinite life..... you can always upgrade one bit at a time to suit the wallet and it still works out to be a state of the art system......
I'd say go for a 6870 and a Corsair H70 , that'll reduce your noise problem plus give you adequate cooling......4.2 GHz is going to be very easily handled by the H70.....
And when you get the feeling of the engine slowing down, shift to a X6 by then the prices would have dropped..... making it easier to get a newer upgrade for something else.....
November 12, 2010 8:24:12 AM

And later getting another one and throwing them into CF seems like a pretty good idea, but the cost rite now mite be a little steep. Ah not sure what i should do
a b à CPUs
November 12, 2010 8:28:34 AM

Or if I was to rephrase go for the H70 with the X6 ...... and upgrade to another 5770 use it in CF and it'll really blow everything till the mid of next year..... then you can upgrade the PSU and the Mobo....
I really don't know if an SSD would make a difference, but as people around here and all over say it makes very little difference to the FPS.... I can't say, but, I changed my disc 7200RPM to the 80Gb Intel G2 SSD yesterday and it increased my 3D mark score by 2000 points..... really, I still haven't run fraps in crysis to get the exact picture but will keep it up tomorrow....
November 12, 2010 8:30:40 AM

I was playing crysis today lol usually get around 35 fps but at times i get around 8-9 fps it really pisses me off
!