My case came with so many screws, which ones are for my mobo?

jroid

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
First off, sorry about this post if it seems pointless, I'm pretty new to computer building and have found too many contradicting answers when I searched for similar questions on the web.

So I got my case today, and it had no instructions at all. I found a baggy of screws inside but have no idea which to use with the motherboard. There are only limited amounts of each.

scaled.php

I numbered them so they'd be easier to identify. I believe that number 3 are the ones I should use for the motherboard but there were only three in the package. 1, and 2, I have lots of. Please ignore number 5, they don't fit in the pegs at all. (confused yet :kaola:? ) Something I realized was that all of the PCI slot covers and fans were screwed in with number 3... maybe a manufacturer mistake?

scaled.php

I'm not exactly sure how important screws are but want to be sure I use the correct ones so please let me know what you think. Also, what are the little paper washers for?

Thanks-

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Well first off, to put your mind at ease, as long as the screw first and you dont force it, nothing will break. From what I can see, for the past 3 years, when I built a computer I would use screw number 4 for the motherboard, and just 3 weeks ago i built a computer at work ( I work at a computer repair center) and used that screw as instructed by my boss.

I never had a computer break or die on me so I would use screw number 4 with the red ring thing underneath it for the motherboard.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else :D

jroid

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks! Unfortunately the case only came with a total of 6 #4 screws but I believe I have more of that type in my garage. I'll dig through some of my older systems and see what I can find.

Thanks again :)

A case will come with sufficient screws for the motherboard. For a ATX motherboard, that is 9.

Just try each screw that you have at least 9 of and see if it threads nicely into the brass hex sided standoffs. I suspect #5.

You should have plenty of smaller threaded screws to be used for hard drives and dvd drives. Test fit them also.

Don't use the fiber washers. The attachment of the motherboard screws is supposed to help ground the motherboard to the case.

jroid

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
@geofelt
Thanks for the reply!
Actually the case came with nine of the #2 screws so those were the only ones that had the amount for the ATX board it's meant for, number 5s are too small to fit in the pegs and there are twelve of them. I guess I'll use either the #5s or #2s, the black color threw me off because I've never seen/used black screws with a mobo before, and if they are black doesn't that mean they were painted and won't help ground the board..?

@ilikegirls
Thanks! I sure will...if I don't break anything :p

I have not seen black mobo screws either, they are usually silver. But assuming they thread properly into the brass standoffs, then that is what they were meant for. You will still get grounded because the underside of the mobo around the mounting holes will be contacting the standoffs.