Removing hard drive from multiboot computer that won't boo..

I have a multi boot system with 2 hard drives configured as follows:

I have one hard drive with Windows ME. One partition. Checking in Windows XP
under Disk Managment, this drive is labeled as: Disk2-Vol 1 (C:). Primary
partition. (It, also, states SYSTEM).

On the second hard drive I have two partitions:

a) First partition is Drive D and is labeled as DRV2_Vol 1 (D:) Primary
Partition. (It, also, states BOOT). This partition has Windows XP with FAT
32 format, not NTFS.

b) The other partition on this second drive is Drive E and is labeled as
DISK2_Vol 1 (E:) Logical Drive. This partition has Windows ME operating
system. (FORGET THIS PARTITION AS IT IS MEANINGLESS AND I WILL BE DELETING
IT AS SOON AS I CAN REMOVE THE HARD DRIVE WITH WINDOWS ME (C:).)

I want to remove the hard drive with Windows ME (C:) from the computer, but
I cannot as the system will not boot without it. There is no boot.ini file
in Windows XP (D:) on the second hard drive; the boot.ini file is on the hard
drive with Windows ME (C:).

The boot.ini file in Windows ME (C:) reads as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

(I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they both
work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and get
rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get to
select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:) entries and
one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:).)

My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without the
hard drive with Windows ME (C:) being installed in the computer.

Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in Windows
XP?

Do I need to do anything with the 'NTLDR' and 'NTDETECT.COM' files?

Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?

Thanks for your assistance.

gman
3 answers Last reply
More about removing hard drive multiboot computer

    You could try copying ntldr, ntdetect.com, bootsect.dos and boot.ini to
    drive D: Then use the recovery console to
    do a rebuild of boot.ini and mbr. Check this article on Recovery
    Console.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

    You are primarily interested in the commands: bootcfg /scan and
    rebuild Fixboot Fixmbr
    "gman" <gman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a multi boot system with 2 hard drives configured as follows:
    >
    > I have one hard drive with Windows ME. One partition. Checking in Windows
    > XP
    > under Disk Managment, this drive is labeled as: Disk2-Vol 1 (C:). Primary
    > partition. (It, also, states SYSTEM).
    >
    > On the second hard drive I have two partitions:
    >
    > a) First partition is Drive D and is labeled as DRV2_Vol 1 (D:) Primary
    > Partition. (It, also, states BOOT). This partition has Windows XP with
    > FAT
    > 32 format, not NTFS.
    >
    > b) The other partition on this second drive is Drive E and is labeled as
    > DISK2_Vol 1 (E:) Logical Drive. This partition has Windows ME operating
    > system. (FORGET THIS PARTITION AS IT IS MEANINGLESS AND I WILL BE
    > DELETING
    > IT AS SOON AS I CAN REMOVE THE HARD DRIVE WITH WINDOWS ME (C:).)
    >
    > I want to remove the hard drive with Windows ME (C:) from the computer,
    > but
    > I cannot as the system will not boot without it. There is no boot.ini
    > file
    > in Windows XP (D:) on the second hard drive; the boot.ini file is on the
    > hard
    > drive with Windows ME (C:).
    >
    > The boot.ini file in Windows ME (C:) reads as follows:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect
    > C:\="Microsoft Windows"
    >
    > (I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they
    > both
    > work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and get
    > rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get
    > select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:) entries and
    > one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:).)
    >
    > My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without
    > the
    > hard drive with Windows ME (C:) being installed in the computer.
    >
    > Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in
    > Windows
    > XP?
    >
    > Do I need to do anything with the 'NTLDR' and 'NTDETECT.COM' files?
    >
    > Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance.
    >
    > gman

    Thanks, Rich, for your response. This sounds very complicated and I am
    concerned about doing something that would require an entire reinstall. I
    cannot risk that as it would take too much time (although I do have a back up
    of D:).

    Can you tell me -- in layman's terms -- exactly why the computer will not
    boot without the C: drive present. Is it just that the boot.ini file is
    missing on D:? Or, is it more complicated?

    Thanks,

    gman

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

> [...]
    > > C:\="Microsoft Windows"
    > >
    > > (I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they
    > > both
    > > work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and get
    > > rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get
    > > select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:) entries and
    > > one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:).)
    > >
    > > My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without
    > > the
    > > hard drive with Windows ME (C:) being installed in the computer.
    > >
    > > Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in
    > > Windows
    > > XP?
    > >
    > > Do I need to do anything with the 'NTLDR' and 'NTDETECT.COM' files?
    > >
    > > Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?

    I found the files you mentioned in the root directory but do not see
    bootsect.dos. (View hidden and protected system files is enabled.) Is
    bootsec.dos in the C root directory? If so, will I only see it if I boot
    with recovery console? It does not show up in Windows. Or, will it not show
    up at all since my drive is NTFS? What exact syntax would I use if I ever
    have to do repair my MBR?

    bootcfg /scan /rebuild

    -or is it-

    bootcfg /scan
    bootcfg /rebuild

    -and then-

    fixboot [drive name]:
    (C in my case, drive letter where boot sector will be written)
    fixmbr

    - or is it-

    fixboot [drive name]:
    fixmbr \device\harddisk[number]
    (harddisk0 in my case, not sure what to put for [device])

    Finally, is there a way to back up the boot sector without cloning the
    entire hard drive? I'd like to be able to back up and restore just the boot
    sector in case there's a problem. Right now I can restore the operating
    system partition through cloning -- so long as the boot sector and boot
    record are not damaged. If they get damaged, I have no way to repair or
    restore them. Thanks.

    SeaMaid
    (formerly ForestSpirit)

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> both
    >> work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and
    >> get
    >> rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get
    >> select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:) entries
    >> and
    >> one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:).)
    >>
    >> My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without
    >> the
    >> hard drive with Windows ME (C:) being installed in the computer.
    >>
    >> Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in
    >> Windows
    >> XP?
    >>
    >> Do I need to do anything with the 'NTLDR' and 'NTDETECT.COM' files?
    >>
    >> Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?

Configuration Windows Me Partition Hard Drives Windows XP