Removing hard drive from multiboot computer that won't boo..

June 14, 2005 1:06:02 PM

I have a multi boot system with 2 hard drives configured as follows:

I have one hard drive with Windows ME. One partition. Checking in Windows XP
under Disk Managment, this drive is labeled as: Disk2-Vol 1 (C:) . Primary
partition. (It, also, states SYSTEM).

On the second hard drive I have two partitions:

a) First partition is Drive D and is labeled as DRV2_Vol 1 (D:)  Primary
Partition. (It, also, states BOOT). This partition has Windows XP with FAT
32 format, not NTFS.

b) The other partition on this second drive is Drive E and is labeled as
DISK2_Vol 1 (E:)  Logical Drive. This partition has Windows ME operating
system. (FORGET THIS PARTITION AS IT IS MEANINGLESS AND I WILL BE DELETING
IT AS SOON AS I CAN REMOVE THE HARD DRIVE WITH WINDOWS ME (C:) .)

I want to remove the hard drive with Windows ME (C:)  from the computer, but
I cannot as the system will not boot without it. There is no boot.ini file
in Windows XP (D:)  on the second hard drive; the boot.ini file is on the hard
drive with Windows ME (C:) .

The boot.ini file in Windows ME (C:)  reads as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

(I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they both
work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and get
rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get to
select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:)  entries and
one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:) .)

My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without the
hard drive with Windows ME (C:)  being installed in the computer.

Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in Windows
XP?

Do I need to do anything with the 'NTLDR' and 'NTDETECT.COM' files?

Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?

Thanks for your assistance.

gman
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:55:53 PM

You could try copying ntldr, ntdetect.com, bootsect.dos and boot.ini to
drive D: Then use the recovery console to
do a rebuild of boot.ini and mbr. Check this article on Recovery
Console.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

You are primarily interested in the commands: bootcfg /scan and
rebuild Fixboot Fixmbr
"gman" <gman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a multi boot system with 2 hard drives configured as follows:
>
> I have one hard drive with Windows ME. One partition. Checking in Windows
> XP
> under Disk Managment, this drive is labeled as: Disk2-Vol 1 (C:) . Primary
> partition. (It, also, states SYSTEM).
>
> On the second hard drive I have two partitions:
>
> a) First partition is Drive D and is labeled as DRV2_Vol 1 (D:)  Primary
> Partition. (It, also, states BOOT). This partition has Windows XP with
> FAT
> 32 format, not NTFS.
>
> b) The other partition on this second drive is Drive E and is labeled as
> DISK2_Vol 1 (E:)  Logical Drive. This partition has Windows ME operating
> system. (FORGET THIS PARTITION AS IT IS MEANINGLESS AND I WILL BE
> DELETING
> IT AS SOON AS I CAN REMOVE THE HARD DRIVE WITH WINDOWS ME (C:) .)
>
> I want to remove the hard drive with Windows ME (C:)  from the computer,
> but
> I cannot as the system will not boot without it. There is no boot.ini
> file
> in Windows XP (D:)  on the second hard drive; the boot.ini file is on the
> hard
> drive with Windows ME (C:) .
>
> The boot.ini file in Windows ME (C:)  reads as follows:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect
> C:\="Microsoft Windows"
>
> (I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they
> both
> work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and get
> rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get
> select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:)  entries and
> one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:) .)
>
> My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without
> the
> hard drive with Windows ME (C:)  being installed in the computer.
>
> Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in
> Windows
> XP?
>
> Do I need to do anything with the 'NTLDR' and 'NTDETECT.COM' files?
>
> Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> gman

June 14, 2005 11:55:54 PM

Thanks, Rich, for your response. This sounds very complicated and I am
concerned about doing something that would require an entire reinstall. I
cannot risk that as it would take too much time (although I do have a back up
of D:) .

Can you tell me -- in layman's terms -- exactly why the computer will not
boot without the C: drive present. Is it just that the boot.ini file is
missing on D:? Or, is it more complicated?

Thanks,

gman

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> [...]
> > C:\="Microsoft Windows"
> >
> > (I know, there are two entries for Windows XP; don't know why, but they
> > both
> > work, and I am sure I could just delete one from the boot.ini file and get
> > rid of the redundancy. Just haven't done it. On the screen where I get
> > select the operating system, there are the two Windows XP (D:)  entries and
> > one for Windows, which is the hard drive with WINDOWS ME (C:) .)
> >
> > My question is what do I need to do to get the computer to boot without
> > the
> > hard drive with Windows ME (C:)  being installed in the computer.
> >
> > Do I need to modify and copy to / place a boot.ini file someplace in
> > Windows
> > XP?
> >
> > Do I need to do anything with the 'NTLDR' and 'NTDETECT.COM' files?
> >
> > Do I need to do anything with a 'paging file'?

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:39:03 AM

I found the files you mentioned in the root directory but do not see
bootsect.dos. (View hidden and protected system files is enabled.) Is
bootsec.dos in the C root directory? If so, will I only see it if I boot
with recovery console? It does not show up in Windows. Or, will it not show
up at all since my drive is NTFS? What exact syntax would I use if I ever
have to do repair my MBR?

bootcfg /scan /rebuild

-or is it-

bootcfg /scan
bootcfg /rebuild

-and then-

fixboot [drive name]:
(C in my case, drive letter where boot sector will be written)
fixmbr

- or is it-

fixboot [drive name]:
fixmbr \device\harddisk[number]
(harddisk0 in my case, not sure what to put for [device])

Finally, is there a way to back up the boot sector without cloning the
entire hard drive? I'd like to be able to back up and restore just the boot
sector in case there's a problem. Right now I can restore the operating
system partition through cloning -- so long as the boot sector and boot
record are not damaged. If they get damaged, I have no way to repair or
restore them. Thanks.

SeaMaid
(formerly ForestSpirit)

news:D DGre.62029$887.20114@tornado.socal.rr.com...