Sign in with
Your question

EVGA 470 SC & MSI 470 Twin Frozr II in SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2010 1:18:13 AM

I just got these cards and I will be OCing the MSI card to match the EVGA and I wondered in a SLI setup if with these cards and the MSI's unique cooler if it would be better to run it wit the EVGA card on the bottom or on top for better cooling?

More about : evga 470 msi 470 twin frozr sli

a b Î Nvidia
July 21, 2010 1:23:53 AM

There is different ways to think this out, lol
But the top card almost always idles and runs hotter. For that reason, I would put the MSI Twin Frzr on top. Its dual fans cool better and if you have to spin the fans up more, it will be quieter and more effective imo.
m
l
July 21, 2010 1:48:00 AM

Yeah that's the usual way but I wondered if the MSI would dump warm air on the EVGA if I ran it on the bottom and even though it is warmer air it technically is more air flow so I dunno I will do some experimenting and let you know and will post after I got then in and done some test. I have the Thermaltake element v case so the side fan and fans on the hard drive cage should help a lot.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
July 21, 2010 2:13:08 AM

I would say MSI on top as well. An open design will benefit the top card more as the bottom card will block the air intake on a closed card. Closed design + low air intake + hot, power hungry card = bad news.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
July 21, 2010 2:17:07 AM

carnedude said:
Yeah that's the usual way but I wondered if the MSI would dump warm air on the EVGA if I ran it on the bottom and even though it is warmer air it technically is more air flow so I dunno I will do some experimenting and let you know and will post after I got then in and done some test. I have the Thermaltake element v case so the side fan and fans on the hard drive cage should help a lot.

i had the exact same twin frozr cooler on my GTS 250. It does not like having a side fan blow on it. It actually becomes 1-2c hotter. Don't know if that helps you any on placement...
m
l
July 31, 2010 3:18:55 AM

Yeah tried the MSI on top but no go cause there is like 0 room between the 2 cards there for the MSI was getting super hot cause it doesn't pull much air from the end like the evga. With the EVGA on top and the MSI on bottom I am getting a pretty stable temp of 80c on the EVGA and 65-68 with the MSI using Afterburner and Kombustor
m
l
!