Solved

Looking for a good high-quality SSD

The primary thing I would be looking to use this for is to speed up boot time. However, I would also like to put it on my gaming partition as in my understanding it should greatly improve load times for the game, which I find frustrating with a lot of my stuff.

Additionally, I would like to stick some long-startup programs on the drive, like Office and Photoshop.
According to my rough space calculations, I would probably be looking at a drive somewhere in the order of 150-180GB. An inexpensive 256GB would work fine too. My main concern is quality - I want something that works and is likely to show an improvement in boot and program launch time.

Any recommendations? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Currently I have a 7200RPM Barracuda 1TB Drive.

Also, is it a bad idea to have all my eggs in one nest? Conceivably, with a 256GB, I could store everything I will need to on this system, kind of rendering the 1TB drive redundant. (backup, maybe?)

Also, how is SSD life? Is it still something to be worried about? I tend to reload Windows a lot due to viruses and whatever else, so I don't want it failing on me prematurely.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking good high quality
  1. Best answer
    A SSD will speed up boot times and will load game maps much faster. A 256 gb SSD for the boot drive is actualy what I consider the sweet spot for OS drives , it gives you enough space for the OS a few games and programs and there is still a lot of free space. You do want to keep some space free on a SSD since going past 80% capacity will tend to slow it down. The life span is good and you will most defietly be upgrading to a new SSD before your current one will get old.
    Depending on your budget the Samsung 840 256 gb would e my recomendation and after that The Intel 330 240gb would be a good choice. The new OCZ Vector 256 gb is also a good choice after the other two.
  2. Am I able to partition an SSD to say, 80% and 20%? Or does that affect how the controller distributes wear?

Reason I ask is because then I'm not going to inadvertently go past that threshold, which sounds like a good one to me.
  3. NO, u do not want to partition an SSD... use it as is and you'll get the best performance (unless, of course it's 500+GB)
  4. One other question: Browser cache... should I keep it on the SSD or HDD, or is it kind of trivial?
  5. im sure it makes absolutely no difference, if someone were to actually test the theory
  6. canadianvice said:
    Am I able to partition an SSD to say, 80% and 20%? Or does that affect how the controller distributes wear?

Reason I ask is because then I'm not going to inadvertently go past that threshold, which sounds like a good one to me.

I just installed a Samsung 840 250 gig SSD it has something called overprovisioning it is susposed to improve the life of the drive and improve some perfromance issues. I paid $149 now I see one on eBay for $139. IDK no expert here. My boot time is improved for sure the most noticable thing is game load times are much faster.
    I fully overprovisioned mine to extend the life which took up 23 gig. When I first received it I tried to get Norton Ghost working but the key they sent didn't work. It was frustrating the first evening trying to get it working. The next morning I registered it on Samsung then checking my acct I saw my drive with a link to downloadable software and found the data migration software. After that it was easy peazy. Did the dowload the first option was to clone my HDD which is what I was looking to do. A couple clicks and a cup of coffee and my drive was cloned. I unhooked the HDD ( will make it a slave soon) and it booted right up.

From my experience so far the 840 is a good decently priced SSD. Forget the Norton Ghost unless you own a copy. Register the drive use the Samsung data migration software and you will be up and running in minutes. Hope this helps someone.
  7. So that's what overprovisioning is. That's basically what I was talking about with the whole partitioning thing.
  8. there's no reason to provision the SSD for longer life, because you'll end up getting a newer technology before the life starts fading out of it! you're just wasting space!
  9. I guess if I set u p a regular backup.... any opinions on the crucial m4?
  10. dingo07 said:
    there's no reason to provision the SSD for longer life, because you'll end up getting a newer technology before the life starts fading out of it! you're just wasting space!

I have been tossing that idea around also. The warranty is 3 years I believe if it went bad before that I would probably end up with a new drive to replace it. Me being new to the technology it is good to get opinions. Thank You.
  11. Best answer selected by canadianvice.
  12. yes, and from what I read here, ... sorry wrong thread :lol:
  13. Just for the record, I opted to go for a 240GB Force GT from Corsair and a 120GB M4 from Crucial.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage