Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just built a computer, doesn't turn on

Last response: in Systems
August 25, 2010 3:38:07 AM

I have the Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard and the only thing that turns on when I switch the PSU on is the Standby LED light. When I hit the power button, nothing happens. To be honest, I'm not even 100% sure that all the cables are in the right places. However, I'm pretty sure I attached everything.. The motherboard has to connections to the PSU, the Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 has two, the ODD, HDD, and SSD each have one, the CPU has a heatsink and fan (both of which also do not turn on). Is there no way to tell if parts were somehow damaged from electric shocks? How careful do you have to be? Does Bestbuy's Geek Squad look at computers other than their own, so that they may be able to help?

More about : built computer turn

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 25, 2010 3:36:48 PM

Agree with the above, run through the troubleshooting post, it's very thorough.

Geek Squad will do a diagnosis/repair for you for a fee.

Depending on the nature of your problem, it may or may not be worth it. Once I took a computer to them, as I had run out of troubleshooting options, and told them that the problem was with the motherboard or the CPU. Since I didn't have any additional parts to test it, I asked if they could determine which it was. $50 later, I was told it was the motherboard or the CPU.
Related resources
August 25, 2010 6:10:03 PM

Geek squad didn't know what oem windows was when i went there, and they sell brand new copies of win7 for 199$ us careful with them i almost believe they would hire anybody. I would say D.I.Y or ask around there or tons of I.t. folks around that know alot that will give you free step by step advice.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:13:40 PM

If problems persist, try finding a local computer shop. Typically they will be more willing to help you out over Best buy.
m
l
August 26, 2010 1:34:35 PM

Thanks for everyone's opinions! I actually figured it out the morning after posting this thread. Well, I didn't exactly figure it out, just took a guess. Turns out that moving the CLRTC cap from pins 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 made it not start. As soon as I moved it back, I was able to turn it on! I was soooo happy that there was nothing wrong with the hardware!
m
l
August 26, 2010 9:31:03 PM

Best answer selected by dchae85.
m
l
!